Rear Diff is Shot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayosick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...so I have finally decided that my jeep needs to have some work done on the rear diff. When I am turning you can pretty much feel the vibrations through the entire jeep. Any suggestions on replacement. Do I ask a shop to replace with entirely new parts, or find someone who can replace with an old diff.

ericautopart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...so I have finally decided that my jeep needs to have some work done on the rear diff. When I am turning you can pretty much feel the vibrations through the entire jeep. Any suggestions on replacement. Do I ask a shop to replace with entirely new parts, or find someone who can replace with an old diff.

Best thing you can do is diagnose the issue and buy parts to replace. Send me a PM if you'd like. I'll probably get you the best prices on 8.25 stuff. You only feel vibration when turning though? No humming/whirring/whizzing?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best place to start is to find out if you have track lock or not
the track lock clutch plates can break off and cause your issue
if this is the case then your best bet is full carrier replacement

ericautopart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best place to start is to find out if you have track lock or not
the track lock clutch plates can break off and cause your issue
if this is the case then your best bet is full carrier replacement

That's what I was thinking too. Usually you'd hear chattering though if there was an issue.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thinking maybe a axle bearing when turning
OH and thanks again Eric