rear coil spring removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the bottle jack method the way to go when removing the rear springs or is there a quicker way to do this? Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stuffing the opposite axle helps get the stock springs out ,and just a few cranks on the compressers to get the OME springs in.
With both shocks removed of course.

Gyro

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend with a long prybar can be invaluable here, as well....you will need to apply a bit of force on the axle to get the 2nd rear OME in if not compressed...but it can be done...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Remove shock, stock springs fall out
OME etc , 2X4 , pry down , pop out
or the jack method if installing 4 inch ( plus some extras )

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can just remove my shocks and the entire rear end will drop low enough to fit 5.5" springs no problem

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to have a buddy assemble the front for me at his shop, but do I need to rent a spring compressor for the rear? Will it make the job easier?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to have a buddy assemble the front for me at his shop, but do I need to rent a spring compressor for the rear? Will it make the job easier?

NO on the spring compressor! If a friend is with you, jack up the opposite side then have your buddy use a pry bar or 2X4 as a lever to push down the side you're working on. Put the top of the coil in first, slide it up over the hockey puck bumpstop on the bottom perch and "Voila!" You've just installed a rear spring.

Believe me, it will take far longer to move the jack around and keeping your buddy's attention on what he's doing than it will to put the springs in :happy175:

Have a shop disassemble your front springs/shocks and reassemble them with the new springs/shocks while you and your friend are doing the rear springs. Go get the fronts after you're done with the rears, come back and put the fronts in then get an alignment. You'll be grilling burgers and drinking adult beverages by dinner time :waytogo:

Bob

GYPSY400

Reaction score
I just finished mine.. had the boomerang out.. removed the shock bolt and had no troubles installing the ironman springs

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should be able to drill and add bump stops in rear with springs already installed correct?

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really isn't too rough a task compared to the front if you've never did it before. I was all smiles after completing the back on my Liberty after having fun on the front. The back was cake.:party52:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long of bolts will I need for 2 pucks and what size thread do you use? Would like to pick them up at the hardware store before I get started today. Thanks

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long of bolts will I need for 2 pucks and what size thread to you use? Would like to pick them up at the hardware store before I get started today. Thanks

4 inch carriage bolts with nut and washers, 1/4" or 3/16" should be fine.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How long of bolts will I need for 2 pucks and what size thread do you use? Would like to pick them up at the hardware store before I get started today. Thanks

Pucks are one inch thick each so 2.25 or 2.5 inch bolt is long enough for two
washer on top and bottom , I use 1/4 or 3/8 inch bolts on most everyones
I use regular bolts due to if you ever need to remove them carriage bolts can be a huge PITA
Nothing against what Bob just quoted but from experience
used to use carriage bolts but switched over:icon_lol:

Last edited:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need to unbolt rear bolt joint to get springs in? Can't figure out how to do this. Front was easy for me but struggling with rear. Where do I place jacks etc.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do I need to unbolt rear bolt joint to get springs in? Can't figure out how to do this. Front was easy for me but struggling with rear. Where do I place jacks etc.

???
Not hard, remove shocks, remove springs, drill holes, reinstall springs, then put the hockey pucks in through the springs , run bolt down through spring pad , tighten up bolt, install shocks . D O N E
VERY easy takes 30 minutes at most

Oh jack up the rear ( of course) jack stands in front of the LCAs and drop the rear diff down

Last edited:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
???
Not hard, remove shocks, remove springs, drill holes, reinstall springs, then put the hockey pucks in through the springs , run bolt down through spring pad , tighten up bolt, install shocks . D O N E
VERY easy takes 30 minutes at most

Well thanks but that didnt tell me anything I don't already know. I needed to know where to jack and where not to jack to remove springs. I rested the body on stands and jacked up opposite side compressing spring while using bottle jack on the side I was removing and worked like a charm.