Rear bump stop advice sought

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harman5

Reaction score
I know people are suggesting 2" of extended bump stop for a 2" lift but it seems a bit much to me? See pics below. Each 'door stop' is 1" high. One or two?

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The general consensus is 1 inch of bumpstop for each inch of lift on the rear.

Gyro

harman5

Reaction score
The general consensus is 1 inch of bumpstop for each inch of lift on the rear.

Gyro
Thanks Gyro. I added the 2nd puck (total 2" high now) and it's looking good imo

Cheers

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes always has been one inch of lift , one inch of bumpstop
Its not what people are suggesting, it is what's needed

what are you using to hold them in place ?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you followed the rule of thumb of 2” of lift = 2” of bump stops. My bump extended stops came in extremely handy lately towing my trailer. They kept my springs from being overly compressed by the heavy load. (I have about 3.5” of lift on my Jeep.)

harman5

Reaction score
Yes always has been one inch of lift , one inch of bumpstop
Its not what people are suggesting, it is what's needed

what are you using to hold them in place ?
Thanks Tom, I'm using Sikaflex 291 to keep them in place. :eek: This stuff seems very good bond-wise. It's marine grade so water proof and vibration resistant. Fingers crossed...

I read about using a nut and bolt but I can't readily access the spring perch at present to properly drill a hole, so Sikaflex it is (read about it on some other car forum)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Many years ago we had folks trying different glues etc
never worked for them, but maybe you will get lucky.
good luck
You always drill the hole before installing new springs

harman5

Reaction score
Many years ago we had folks trying different glues etc
never worked for them, but maybe you will get lucky.
good luck
You always drill the hole before installing new springs
Cheers, yep fingers crossed here

I had a shop do the lift install so no chance of doing it myself unfortunately, and unlikely they would have done it (to be fair to them I never mentioned/requested they fit any extended bump stops in the first place though)

harman5

Reaction score
Glad you followed the rule of thumb of 2” of lift = 2” of bump stops. My bump extended stops came in extremely handy lately towing my trailer. They kept my springs from being overly compressed by the heavy load. (I have about 3.5” of lift on my Jeep.)
Cheers, although I don't do much towing my main fear is not having enough extended bump stop and going over some uneven terrain and either blowing out a shock or hyper extending a brake hose :eek:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ever get to the point where the glue fails and need to drill, this is how I remember Tom doing it in his shop on mine:

- Disconnect the sway bar links & shocks so the axle can hang free (remove rear tires also)
- Jack up the rear of the Jeep and put it on jack stands on the ‘frame’ rails
- Jack up one side of the rear axle. The other side should hang down far enough that the spring can be removed (a slight bit of persuasion from a pry bar might be needed on the spring but not much).
- With the spring removed, drill a hole in the lower spring perch. Drill a hole in your hockey pucks to match.
- Reinstall the spring. Before putting weight back on it, feed the hockey pucks into place. Use a grade 8 bolt and locking nut to bolt them down while inside the spring.
- Repeat the process on the other side.

harman5

Reaction score
If you ever get to the point where the glue fails and need to drill, this is how I remember Tom doing it in his shop on mine:

- Disconnect the sway bar links & shocks so the axle can hang free (remove rear tires also)
- Jack up the rear of the Jeep and put it on jack stands on the ‘frame’ rails
- Jack up one side of the rear axle. The other side should hang down far enough that the spring can be removed (a slight bit of persuasion from a pry bar might be needed on the spring but not much).
- With the spring removed, drill a hole in the lower spring perch. Drill a hole in your hockey pucks to match.
- Reinstall the spring. Before putting weight back on it, feed the hockey pucks into place. Use a grade 8 bolt and locking nut to bolt them down while inside the spring.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated :cool:

Latest posts

Members online