Rear Axle is toast. How do I identify my gear ratio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevecon

Reaction score
I need to identify the gear ratio in my Jeep.

After poking around underneath, I only found a pair of small gauge wires that are plugged into a connector on the top of the differential but, an ID tag is nowhere to be found. My Libby has a 7/04 build date and the VIN tells me -zero- about the gear ratio inside the differential.

Ideas anyone? Thanks!

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 cylinder=3.73 4 cylinder=4.10 if I'm not mistaken, I'm sure someone will tell me if I am. I don't know about the crd's

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always count the teeth on the pinion gear and ring gear then divide

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, build sheet is the safest way to go. It only takes a few minutes to send for it. I did mine on a Saturday evening and it was in my email Sunday AM.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Chock the front wheels, put one rear wheel in the air with a jackstand, put everything in neutral, mark the driveshaft and elevated wheel, turn the driveshaft by hand while counting revolutions of the shaft and wheel.

One full revolution of the wheel should give you an answer or more confusion. Not sure this will work with limited slip diffs.

Apologies for the comma abuse and runonsentence.

Latest posts

Members online