Rear 8.25 Detroit True Trac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to qualify this review with the fact this is my first limited slip/locker.

Well I have had the Detroit true trac for a while now so its finally time for a review.

Product.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-912a553/overview/

Price 575.97 + free shipping. (+install)

Pros:
No maintenance. No clutches or serviceable parts.
Keeps road manners.
No air systems.
Anyone can really drive this and not have to change driving habits to accommodate the LSD.

Cons:
Price is higher but I would say mid range compared to full lockers.
Cannot control when on and off but not a terrible issue with a LSD.
Cannot fully lock.
Wants to go straight in corners when on the gas hard.

Install price. $$$$$$$$$$ if not doing yourself but this is a complicated and specialized install and should not be attempted unless under the supervision of a expert with the correct tools. Also if your gears/diff is older it will probably need (or should get) a master overhaul. Mine needed a pinion bearing done anyways so while they were in there.... haha

Now onto the fun part... Testing.

On road it is seamless and I forget it is back there even around corners. The only time I feel it is if I gun it coming out of a corner and then it has a tendency to want to go straight but not enough so to do it in dry conditions. Just have to be mindful of that when its slick. In the rain it feels like AWD in the rear. If one of my tires hits a manhole cover or thick road paint I feel a slight slip then it takes over and I am off on my way. In light snow I didn't get any more squirrely even when getting on the throttle a bit harder. On gravel/dirt it's like being in a slingshot even with 3.73 gears. Without it I would open it up and one tire would spin until I get going. Now I get a slip and then I'm off!

Update: Snow & Ice and all in between.
Well I have had a interested past few weeks up here in the northeast for sure. Luckily I got to test my DTT when travel was banned for all non-essential personnel.
Deep Snow (1ft+): In deep snow in 2wd both my rear tires now spin instead of one. Kinda locks the rear end up and trys to kick to one side or another. In 4wd it takes that power and translates to no problem.
Ice: So like a limited slip is supposed to do when one tire has traction and the other doesn't it prevents spin and loss of power to the others. Well this one I can FLOOR it with one side on ice and it doesn't even notice it is there. When both are on ice it acts kinda like the deep snow with it locked up in the rear. Makes inclined starts fun to say the least.
Slush/wet/muck/nasty roads: I now can stay in 2wd when I would normally have to go to 4 to get away from the dreaded one tire spin. Rear end just doesn't play around now!
Fun Factor: In these "bad" conditions where camrys and corrolas are on the side of the roads being plowed into snowbanks there is an increased fun factor I had no idea was coming. When both tires lose traction I can really whip the tail out around corners and rotarys. Car less parking lots have been a constant source of amusement when going to work (I have to cut through a massive parking lot to get to the rear of my work building).

Update Off-Road: I finally had a chance to take this off road! It's like night and day from before. 4-Low and crawl crawl crawwwwllllll. No slipping no problem at all! Before I had to give it a bit of a rev before going uphill to ensure I don't spin and get stuck. Now I just ease into it and crawl. LOVE this thing! I could only imagine a front one as well... one day maybe...

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up.

I've toyed with the idea of adding LSD to mine. Just out of curiosity, what did the install cost?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up.

I've toyed with the idea of adding LSD to mine. Just out of curiosity, what did the install cost?

Well mine was kinda unique since they had to do extra stuff to a old diff. Ended up being 800.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trutrac LSD= $575.97
Install and rebuild rear diff= $800

Piece of mind and no more one wheel wonder= Priceless:gr_grin:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except in the front... Just Empty Every Pocket :gr_grin:
The DTT is much better up front then the rear.

Pop it into 4wd and it's a point and shoot type of deal.Loved the DTT up front in my KJ before the SFA swap but sadly the DTT is only rated for up to 33" tires so I had to settle for a front ARB(yeah such a hardship!!!!) to aid my rear ARB.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tjkj2002, i was planning on the DTT in my FILs KJ. I know a OX will fit in JBA steel front diff. But will it fit in the d30a? Why not? I havent actually tried to install a OX in a d30a, so thats why im asking.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tjkj2002, i was planning on the DTT in my FILs KJ. I know a OX will fit in JBA steel front diff. But will it fit in the d30a? Why not? I havent actually tried to install a OX in a d30a, so thats why im asking.
It will fit but you have to modify the front diff mount since the OX requires it's special diff cover(or it will not work) and then you have to drill the housing for a breather since the OE breather for the front diff is in the OE cover.