RCV isn't ready for the KJ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger-side axle got sent back to the factory because it was too short, light wheeling over the weekend caused the drivers-side axle to bind up and rip clean off the front differential leaving me sans 4x4 drive and spinning the rear wheels (even locked) to no avail.

Due to the passenger-side issue, I've been running a mixed axle set-up with the JE Reel in its place. It didn't budge a bit.

Here's a shot of the JE Reel next to the RCV for comparison. JE actually has MUCH more articulation:

4129-image.jpg

:disgust:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a LOT more movement in the JV axle.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, more movement but the boots won't take that much movement is the problem

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, more movement but the boots won't take that much movement is the problem

Never had a problem with the JE boot. It's been sitting in my garage with all kinds of crap piled up on it. Probably slid off when I was taking it out.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger-side axle got sent back to the factory because it was too short, light wheeling over the weekend caused the drivers-side axle to bind up and rip clean off the front differential leaving me sans 4x4 drive and spinning the rear wheels (even locked) to no avail.

This too short problem part of running front sway disconnected or did it blow with them attached? I assume under full droop or was it a different scenario? Any of the splines strip?

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This too short problem part of running front sway disconnected or did it blow with them attached? I assume under full droop or was it a different scenario? Any of the splines strip?

Yes, sway bar was disconnected. I can only assume that it happened during a fully drop. No splines stripped, but the boot was shredded something horrible.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!!!! :worthy:

I'm sitting here on a laptop drooling over the fact you are wheeling your KJ that hard that even the RCV's grenaded. I'm jealous! :peace:

***** you have to spend the $'s to replace them though...

Bob

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!!!! :worthy:

I'm sitting here on a laptop drooling over the fact you are wheeling your KJ that hard that even the RCV's grenaded. I'm jealous! :peace:

***** you have to spend the $'s to replace them though...

Bob

It's not that I was wheeling hard, the RCVs have less articulation than my JE Reels. It simply bound up and yanked itself out of the differential.

Not to worry, though; I have a pair of full-width D60s on order. My IFS woes will soon be over. :peace:

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. Spent all that money and just gonna do a sas anyway. Lol. Wish i had the moey for that! Powerball here i come...

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. Spent all that money and just gonna do a sas anyway. Lol. Wish i had the moey for that! Powerball here i come...

***** because the JBA kit was great but it wasn't ever going to be the rock crawler that I wanted it to be. While it was awesome on trails, rivers,and mountain roads, it couldn't keep up with the big boys in the rock piles. It was a harsh moment to finally have to admit this to myself, too. I took the IFS as far as it could possibly go - and then some. Chalk it up to inexperience and an astonishing level of stubbornness.

Looks like there will be a sweet D30s + 4.56/4.88 gears + front/rear Air Locker combo for sale in the classified section very soon. :)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Looks like there will be a sweet D30s + 4.56/4.88 gears + front/rear Air Locker combo for sale in the classified section very soon. :)

Crap, the shipping from Honduras to Hartville would kill me :icon_cry: :icon_wink:

Don't know that I could use 4.56 gears but 4.10's in that steel diff would be sweet...

Bob

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
4.56s would be sweet to have in mine
hint hint
again too bad shipping would be more than what they're worth almost

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.56s would be sweet to have in mine
hint hint
again too bad shipping would be more than what they're worth almost

I can ship via USPS from my location. It's very cheap. All mail is treated as if I were mailing from the continental United States.

Last edited:

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your sifs diff got the 4.88's in it now? Yukon gears or what brand?

I have a full set of both 4.56 and 4.88 ring and pinions. Both Yukons. When I sell everything, I will be including both ratios.

Latest posts

Members online