Rattling noise on deceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dscott2422

Reaction score
Help, I have a rattling noise that seems to be coming from the front drivers side. It happens when I’m going around 40-45, speed up a little and then letting off the gas. It sounds like a woodpecker pecking at metal. Lasts from a second to 3 seconds.

I have replace the drivers side cv axle. Replaced brake pads and rotors, checked for any play in the axle hubs. I just took out the front drive line thinking it was the cv joint on the shaft. Drove it home and the sound persisted. Anyone else had an issue like this?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No mention of replacing the Intermediate shaft on the right side when you replaced the CV
Plus where did the CV come from ?
ALWAYS replace the CV and Intermediate shaft together

Now onto your noise, so same thing after removing front driveshaft ?
Does it make a difference in RPM >

dscott2422

Reaction score
Well, after looking around the underside, I found the source of the noise. It seems that the transmission lines going to the cooler had been resting on a part of the frame and rattling there. Amazingly there was no wear on the lines themselves, but it had wore a slight groove in the bracket it had been resting on. Wrapped a section of hydraulic hose around it to keep it from rubbing on the frame.

I will be replacing all shafts up front in the near future, just changed one to find the source of the noise. Thanks for the response

attached are pics

Attachments

• IMG_3173.jpg
    IMG_3173.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.