Rattle/Clunking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motmcd

Reaction score
Rattle/Clunking Noise '02 Liberty

Posting this for general information. As long as I can remember I had this light, non-replicable, and barely audible clunking sound in my '02 Liberty; something akin to an empty plastic container rattling around. I could not isolate origin of the sound and on many occasions when the Liberty was in the shop for service I asked the mechanics to try locating the source, but to no avail. I learned to live with the annoying clunk.

I recently dropped the fuel tank to replace the fuel filter, but after completing that work the clunking sound was far worse, yet remained illusive as ever. After retracing my steps on the filter replacement I realized the evaporator canister seemed a bit more loose in its saddle, and although I noticed this previously, I ruled it out as the source of the clunking sound believing it wasn't capable of producing the intensity of noise I was hearing. I was wrong.

I packed a sheet of rubber between the evaporator and underside of the vehicle and that did it. That eliminated the noise. After nearly 13 years of listening to that clunking noise.....shhhhhhh! What's that you hear? NOTHING! Nada! Nihil! Ahhhhh, that's nice.

So I guess the body of the Jeep caused the sound made by the vapor canister striking the underside of the vehicle to amplify and resonate through the Jeep's interior; therefore making a small, barely audible noise sound much louder and intense. A lesson was learned.

Cheers

Last edited:

swmiller80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you don't go crazy thinking why the noise is no longer there. There is nothing more annoying than a rattle that you can not figure out where it is coming from.

motmcd

Reaction score
Hopefully you don't go crazy thinking why the noise is no longer there. There is nothing more annoying than a rattle that you can not figure out where it is coming from.

Agreed!! Squeaks, rattles and other such noises can drive me nuts. This clunking in the Liberty was the first noise to elude my search all these years.

Latest posts

Members online