Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bennett, Aug 12, 2006.

1. HoosierJeeper

HoosierJeeper Gold Supporter/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Thinking it might be time to bid a misty eyed farewell to the LR3...it's getting to the point where the repairs are more than a monthly payment. This past month the thermostat housing cracked which turned out to be $400 fix and then just yesterday it left some size able oil puddles in the garage. Plus there's other cosmetic issues looming that I'd like to fix (dash pad is cracking, headliner is sagging in the corners a bit) but got to keep it driveable. 165k miles...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. ltd02

ltd02 Comfortably numb KJ Supporting Member

I thought if you didn't have puddles under a British vehicle, there wasn't any oil in it...

3. HoosierJeeper

Pretty much...LOL. The steering rack is leaking too and that's a $700 part. Just figured it might be smart to trade it off before it becomes a lawn ornament.

4. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

It's how they mark their turf. Might be easier just to move away.

5. Atrus

Atrus Full Access Member

Yeah, I can understand that. If I can get it programmed cheaply, I will do it that way. Someone on MotownMuscle thought he may be able to get his hands on a StarScan to do it for me - I've also read if it's set to "export" you can set it to fog on with high beams. I'd like that as I am moving out to the boonies soon. Not necessary, but it would be nice.

Everything else will be wired off the battery - I want to add heated seats and a few other accessories. I'd just like to leverage this wiring if possible since it's right there and I have a new set of factory fogs in hand.

6. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

Think I might have to take another Compass for a test drive....

7. Jo6pak

OK, that's it!
    I think I'm am officially done with the KJ. It's been fun, but I've fallen out of love with it.

The noise up front in the drivetrain has baffled everyone I have taken it to.

I just spent $300 a week ago to get the PS pump and hoses replaced, and todaty when I backed out of the garage I noticed oil on the floor...now I have a not insignificant leak where the engine meets the transmission. Not sure if it's the lines or the gasket....too cold to look into it farther today.

Add to the list...
    Needs tires, will need brakes soon, power mirrors work when they feel like it, left side speakers cut out intermittently, something is wonky again with the transfer case linkage, drivers seat is getting really squished and the rust is starting to break out of the paint.
    Its a death of a thousand cuts.....

I'm going to keep putting gas and oil in it...but no more major repairs. If it blows up, it blows up.

I just can't decide what to replace it with....For what I can really spend (<$20k) a late model Subaru Crosstrek might have to do.

8. HoosierJeeper

Is it oil or trans fluid?

Update on the LR3: decided to keep it. Needs about $1800 in work (half of that is new tires), less expensive than an LR4 which is largely the same anyway. Plus with an LR4 with 60k on it, I'd be doing most of the same repairs again.

9. HoosierJeeper

I'd get a Cherokee before one of those. Should be easy to get one in that price range.

10. Jo6pak

Not quite sure. Looks like oil.

I'm just not much of a fan of the KLs. Frankly, I've seen/heard of too many issues with them....and I can't get used to the grill/nose. The Trailhawk's aren't too bad, but that's out of my price range...and I cant see myself throwing wet waders and hunting gear on leather upholstery.

A 2013 GC Laredo with QD2 would be ideal, but apparently they are more rare than bigfoot. Might settle for one with AWD if I find a good deal.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  11. HoosierJeeper

That's why I like leather...it's so much easier for stuff like that. Wipes off and looks new.

Honestly, AWD would be fine for around here. My WK was like that and my Cherokee is like that, and for just inclement weather/ going into the woods, they've both worked great. Even the LR3 I only shift it into low range a few times a year just to make sure it works. The KJ gets its low range used for wheeling a lot, but there's no wheeling here. :(

12. CzarKJ

CzarKJ Full Access Member

You are not alone. I have been building up funds for a truck since November.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

13. sota

sota Full Access Member

Jo6pak: it's tough to make that call but sometimes it's the right thing to do. I have a car like that. 262k miles on it now and it's more rust than solid metal. only reason I keep driving it is I have tires and parts that will only fit it still, and scrapping it won't net me any money worth noting (maybe $200.) I'm not fixing anything else on it, as much as possible. otherwise it's just drive it until something really nasty breaks. then it'll be gone.

14. profdlp

profdlp On The Ledge

So many of the Old Guard are falling away... :blah:

15. Kal-El

Kal-El Full Access Member

It's the weather up there....brrrrrrrrr!! Ecccchhh!!

16. Jo6pak

What do you mean Kal-El? It's up to 0 this morning, I just got back from a nice brisk jog before work:gr_grin:

Yeah, that's just it HJ. None of the places we used to go are open anymore; the KJ hasn't been really used like a Jeep more than about twice a year on a friends farm, lately.

On another note, my GFs 2006 Pontiac Torrent blew a head gasket yesterday...so now she is shopping desperatley:blah:

17. ltd02

ltd02 Comfortably numb KJ Supporting Member

Ahhh, GM = Giant Mistake :gr_grin:

Should complain to Pontiac... Oh wait they don't exist anymore. :Insane:

18. HoosierJeeper

Take it to the Pontiac dealer :D

Did it just blow suddenly or what?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  19. Kal-El

Kal-El Full Access Member

LOL!!! My niece who lives in ND is going dog-sledding and ice-fishing this weekend.:yucky:

20. turblediesel

turblediesel memberable

Lucky girl!