Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bennett, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

:rotflmao::laughing1:(lol)

2. Cherrie

Cherrie Full Access Member

My mom lives in a condo/ co-OP. Lots of rules, one small dog per unit. But larger dogs can be accepted by the member's board.
    So I'm there with Eli and took Him and DeDe out. Across the commons a glass door opens. A voice calls out - "hey is that a springer?"- "I replied just visiting." Voice "is that a springer? "-I turn to voice, "yes he is"- Voice- "you have a beautiful dog I had them for years."-"Ok thank-you."
    My mom is at the door - "what's wrong?"-"Nothing! Eli is beautiful." :)

3. CactusJacked

CactusJacked Full Access Member

Just got a cat, but it's not very playful. Actually, it's pretty damn lazy. Think I'm gonna go back to where I got it from and return it!

[​IMG]

4. sota

sota Full Access Member

my jeep hasn't been out in over 3 weeks. too much snow by the garage door.

plus, why beat up the jeep in this crap. I have a rusting out car for that. :)

5. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

Inn other news....
    I have clunky-clunk up front while steering. More noticeable while turning tight left handers. Shall I assume it's the CVs?

6. SurfGuitar141

SurfGuitar141 Full Access Member

I have found through the years that condo people tend to be a confrontational group. Funny story involving a condo complex here. This area is for the most part a summer tourist seasonal resort, most condominium complexes have at most 30% occupancy during the winter months.
    Several years ago I drove a black F-150, and since I only worked my HVAC job 2 to 3 days a week between shifts at the Fire Dept. I used my own truck on the job.
    So I get sent to a condo unit to do a full system change out, the back of my F-150 is packed with a furnace, coil, condenser, filter, and other related equipment. There's approx 1 car for every 8 spots through out the complex, I find the unit, back my truck right up to the front door and get out to begin work. Immediately the door next to the unit I'm about to enter swings open, and a very nasty old lady screams at me that contractors have to park in the visitors area across the parking lot. I looked at her, and the lack of cars in the immediate vicinity and said, sure mam, but only if you come out and help me carry all this equipment across the parking lot and into this unit. With that she said she was calling the president of the condo association on me.....
    About 5 minutes later a kindly looking old man comes walking up to me and introduces himself as the president of the condo complex. He smiled and told me not to worry about it, for us to go ahead and park as close to the units we were working at, and if anyone says anything to let them know he said it was OK...
    It was about this time in our conversation another woman steps out of her 2nd floor condo above us, points to my F-150, and says..."who's truck is that".... Mr. condo president suddenly gets a very embarrassed look on his face, and I look up and politely say... "it's mine mam"...
    Expecting a tongue lashing for not parking in the visitors area, she proceeds to say, while pointing at the back window of my truck...."where did you get that sticker.....I want that sticker....where can I get one of those"....

The sticker in question was a small black decal with bold white letters that said...."I HATE EVERYONE".....

I then looked at Mr. Condo president who is now even more embarrassed, tells me..."that's my wife"....

So I told her where she could buy one.....

While all this was going on, 2 more of our company service vans pulled in and parked next to my pickup, and the 1st old lady who bitched, stood in her front window glaring at all of us the entire time we were there....

I have never worked at any condo where someone complained about something, whether it was where or how we parked our vans, we made too much noise, why are they getting new air conditioning and not me, or they want us to come over to their unit and fix something for free.....

7. profdlp

profdlp On The Ledge

Probably a bunch of people with nothing to do trying to battle the boredom.

Teenagers hang out and ride skateboards; Old people gripe about the neighbors.

(Middle-aged people like me just post silly stuff on Internet forums...) :icon_redface:

8. CactusJacked

So, you plan on living till 108? Don't look now, but we're past the "middle"! ;)

9. Cherrie

My mom was complaining a few weeks ago when we went down. She's got 2 parking spots with visiter parking across the street.
    But neither neighbor's were home so there should have been 6 empties then when we parked 5. Nope all the other spots filled. Just one for us.
    This time when I went down, she's had her extra spot open for me.
    My mom was nervous about Eli because she's signed violations on others that had moved in 2nd family and 2 dogs, in a single unit. But they were a pit and rot, plus the owners small dog. 3 dogs and 6-7 people.

10. profdlp

profdlp On The Ledge

I was going to respond here on the forum, but in light of what you pointed out I went outside and hollered at the guy next door instead.

(He seemed surprised.) :boxed:

11. Cherrie

Nope Im right in the middle Great Aunt 104
    [​IMG]

12. OneOneNiner

OneOneNiner Full Access Member

To try not to dirty up the rockhound thread with replicas, I'll keep posting my knapping endeavors here.

Here's my latest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. yellocoyote

yellocoyote Administrator

Nice! (cool)

14. Dave

Dave Administrator Administrator Moderator

Those are good. How long does it take you to make one?

Dave

15. CactusJacked

Nice. Do you make those strictly by hand, or with a moto tool like the natives did? ;)

16. Cherrie

I had an unintentional destructive day.:(. But not my KK

17. profdlp

profdlp On The Ledge

Oh, no... :mfr_omg:

18. OneOneNiner

OneOneNiner Full Access Member

Hope everything's OK Cherrie.

Thanks for the likes and comments guys!

There are many variables in how long it takes.

Type of material.
    Quality of said material.
    Skill level.
    Method of reduction.
    Ect.

The top one took about an hour, the bottom one took about 5 hours.
    The difference being, the top one was made from a flake.
    That means I struck a rock with a stern hit and knocked off a large flake and worked that flake into an arrow point.

The bottom point was made with full bifacial reduction.
    That means it was the whole rock, which was slowly reduced down to the arrow point.

You really have to study the piece and carefully calculate each strike.
    You can't just smack rocks together and end up with an arrowhead.
    It really is a challenge, and pretty addicting.

All by hand, and I've got plenty of cuts and blood stains to prove it.

I've made all of my tools myself.
    Ranging from modern flintknapping tools like copper boppers(direct percussion,meaning you swing it and smack the rock),copper pressure flakers(a hand held rod with a copper tip used to press on the stone hard enough to detach a flake), and a copper tipped Ishi stick(a long rod with a copper tip used for indirect percussion,meaning it it placed on the rock and the rod is struck with another rod).

Then there's my abo toolkit. Meaning tools made from all things natural.
    There are hammerstones(a rounded stone used for direct percussion,aka smacking a rock with another rock), deer antler pressure flakers, and a wooden Ishi stick with an antler tip, and antler drifts(smaller chunks of antler used for indirect percussion).

I haven't made my first abo Ishi stick yet but I'm looking forward to it.

19. Marlon_JB2

Marlon_JB2 Kombat Edition Jeep

I've been trying to figure out how long I could stay AWAY from this thread.

20. Cherrie

Guess you have your answer.
    How you doing?