Radiator fan motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Lovett

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a issue with their radiator fan engaging & disengaging every 2 seconds. The fan doesn't actually turn on & spin. It just makes a clicking noise like its trying to start then stops. It does this even though the jeep hasn't been started all day until it drains the battery. I just had the pcm replaced about a month ago. Any ideals?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have a issue with their radiator fan engaging & disengaging every 2 seconds. The fan doesn't actually turn on & spin. It just makes a clicking noise like its trying to start then stops. It does this even though the jeep hasn't been started all day until it drains the battery. I just had the pcm replaced about a month ago. Any ideals?

What year/model do you have?
Does the fan run normally when driving?

You can pull the Radiator Relay/Relays...some have two...from the relay box under the hood to see if that stops it clicking and running the battery down while standing.

May be a wiring problem.:confused:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 V6 or Export CRD?
Do not know where he lives!;)

Export 2002 CRDs like I have do not have an electric fan while the 2003 model did have one...different to the gassers!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OP's only other thread indicates he has a 2003 V6 so that's a gasser.

2003 is what I think is the weird year when they started transitioning into the 04.

I'm not sure if the you'll hear clicking sounds for the fan since it's a solid state relay instead of a mechanical relay but it depends if you have the 2003 version that was heading towards the 04 which I believe is when the transitioned from a SSR to two relays(high speed and low speed)

Do you have a fan relay on the driverside wheelwell like this?
You must be registered for see images attach

John Lovett

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yes it's a 03 v6. I will check the relays. I've never seen one do this.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to throw this electrical testing video in here as well.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neat video showing the basic procedures to trace where the problem could be. Nice to see he stated putting a fuse in line with the direct power to the battery so as not to have major sparks flying!;)