Question to anyone with a modified Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjliberator

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got another question for ya'all. After I got my l ift and my 32" tires, my gas mileage basically went down the toilet, plumetting about 7 mpg average according to my meter. I have not gone to the Jeep dealership to convert the gears and computer to the proper settings to accomidate the large tires and lift, which should help I think. But I have also heard that a good exhaust will improve horsepower and mileage. If true, I may hold off on getting my Boulder Bars bumper and get an exhaust instead. Anyone in here with any experience/tips/advice/information about the topic? Much appreciated!

KJLIBERATOR

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may already have one, I don't know, but my mpg recently went down the crapper with the addition of some larger tires, and a crappy filter. I just replaced the stock oil change place filter with a K&N drop in filter and mileage has recovered back to 16 or so based on two tanks so far. An exhaust can help, I don't have one on the KJ now, but based on past experiences they help more when you change the computer chip as well, but they will help some nonetheless. You might also want to run some synthetic oil as well, as I have heard that this helps as well. Going to do this the next oil change myself.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea I know for a fact an exhaust will help you out just by looking at the results I had. It was my first mod, pretty much and it really helped.

Bennett

2kjhouse

Reaction score
exhaust

yes, a k&n filter full kit is best but a drop in is good to, sythetic fluids all around, new spark plugs bosch platinum 2 are good and not too expensive, and a new muffler only no need for cat back as you already have the larger pipes on a libby. I get 20 to 22 at 70 to 75 mph and 18 in town with 2.5" lift and 265's
You must be registered for see images

skrracing

Reaction score
Hope this helps

2K already said it all. The KJ already has a 2.5" exhaust system so just have the muffler changed and you will have a lot better mileage. A lot of us have used the Flowmaster and really liked it but there is also the Spintech that works very well. Hope this helps. Later...Clint

kjliberator

Reaction score
Hey Clint (skrracing), you're from the Lost West KJ forum right? Thanks for the advice from all of you, but what kind of Flowmaster should I get and where could I get something like that installed? Also, how much did it cost you guys with mufflers? Does it also improve the noise level? \:D/ Thanks guys!

KJLIBERATOR

P.S. Welcome Skrracing to the forum!

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am interested in replacing the exhaust and/or muffler and what I am interested in is sound. I don't want something that sounds like glass packs. I know that the V6 is not as good as a V8 for sound purposes. But nonetheless, I want something that sounds more like a performance car, rather than the rattly glass pack sound. What suggestions do you guys have?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
the magnaflows sound great, Jan Cohen has em, and KJrowerny (it was a blast hearing them start up their KJ's at the hooters parking lot..LOL)
it has a nice throaty sound..borderline V8......not as deep as a v8, but way better than whats on the road now...