question regarding detroit true track in the d30A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello

It's been a long time since i posted here.

i have a question regarding the detroit true track.

this is my 2006 kj V6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq_KBZnYMSs

It has a rear aussie locker and a jba lift and some other goodies.

as you can see it's a great machine- however i need that little extra grip on the front to get me going.

I don't want a lockright or any lunchbox locker because from what i hear it can shatter my front D30A. (yes i know- you can go 1 mph slowly with a lockright and do anything slowly but as you can see on youtube- my wheeling does not always allow me to go slow -some rocks demand speed- i had 2 lockrights on previous rigs but they has 2 live axles and locking hubs) - and also i can't find manual locking hubs so it's gonna be kind of unpleasant on a daily drive. I can, of course, get an ARB- but i am a cheap bastard and also - i don't like messing around with hoses and compressors. i am willing to settle for a good limited slip diff.

as for my offroading requirements- i live in a warm climate. snow and mud are not on my offroading menu unless i go wheeling up north in the winter, and that is rare.

I would like to know- anyone here using a truetrack on the front? is it as rough on the fragile D30 as a lockright? from what i read as far as reviews go, people really like the truetrack but i could not find any liberty owner's experience.

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a better alternative to the ARB and the true trac try the eaton electronic locker. it costs less then the ARB and you have no air lines to run, just 2 wires from the differential to a switch.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanx - but i don't want a selectable locker - plus it's 50$ cheaper than an ARB.

i would love to hear from someone ho has installed a truetrack on the front diff.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a 2007 3.7V6 KJ, I have Eaton DTTs in both axle differentials for the last 4 years and have done around 50k kilometers on them. They definitely improve traction and are not intrusive, they have actually been great so far.

The steering return-to-center becomes faster, but then I also have 1.5" (38mm) spacers, so I don't know how much of that is due to the spacers and how much is due to the front DTT.

If you accelerate while you corner on ice when the front axle is engaged, the understeering is a bit more noticeable, but still controllable.

On a slippery slope, it would drag you slightly sideways when climbing, but it's again manageable.

So, I do recommend them.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want a lockright or any lunchbox locker because from what i hear it can shatter my front D30A. (yes i know- you can go 1 mph slowly with a lockright and do anything slowly but as you can see on youtube- my wheeling does not always allow me to go slow -some rocks demand speed- i had 2 lockrights on previous rigs but they has 2 live axles and locking hubs) - and also i can't find manual locking hubs so it's gonna be kind of unpleasant on a daily drive.

The No-Slip I installed behaves perfectly in 2wd. Its also very manageable at 70mph (winter highway). Can't comment about rocks... toughest terrain it sees in some rough logging roads.

The steering return-to-center becomes faster, but then I also have 1.5" (38mm) spacers, so I don't know how much of that is due to the spacers and how much is due to the front DTT.

Same here... with the No-Slip and spacers.

Question: Do you have the 242 tcase? I'm curious if full-time mode makes it easier to do tight turns and u-turns.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do have the 242 and yes, turns with 4WD engaged are easier in full-time than in part-time.

joe_jeep

Reaction score
a lunch box up front would be totally transparent in 2wd, not an issue.
that said, i would do a tru trac as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.