Question regarding CV installation and C-Clips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this short. Have had a problem with the front end, driver's side. Took it to a shop they said it was the CV. Had them replace it. Noise did not go away. Asked a question on here and it sounded like maybe the hub bearing was bad. That is a $200+ part for the assembly, so I took the KJ to the dealership to see if they could figure out the problem and fix it under warranty ($150 deductible). The whole experience at the dealership was ******** to say the least, I won't go into here. They did say that the CV was installed wrong; that during the install the C-clip was broken and there was, I seen it, about 1 1/2 inches of horizontal (forward and backwards, not side to side) play where the CV goes into the housing. I called the shop that installed the CV and they said that was not possible and it must have been a faulty clip. They also said there is only one way to install it and it wouldn't have broken the C-clip. I am going to the shop tomorrow because they want to "check it out". So, anybody out there know if a driver's side CV axle C-clip can be easily broken, or is it possible that it could actually have been faulty? Any info about the install process pertaining to this scenario would be helpful as well. I have tried to search both here and LOST and haven't found any helpful info. Thanks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They messed up by not fully seating the CV into the diff,which in turn broke the clip.

New clips make it hard to fully seat the CV's and those clips are pretty stout since there made out of high grade spring steel,well the OEM ones are.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is the broken circlip still floating around inside the diff carrier? Could munch gears and stuff up pretty quick if left unattended.

My05Kj

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this short. Have had a problem with the front end, driver's side. Took it to a shop they said it was the CV. Had them replace it. Noise did not go away. Asked a question on here and it sounded like maybe the hub bearing was bad. That is a $200+ part for the assembly, so I took the KJ to the dealership to see if they could figure out the problem and fix it under warranty ($150 deductible). The whole experience at the dealership was ******** to say the least, I won't go into here. They did say that the CV was installed wrong; that during the install the C-clip was broken and there was, I seen it, about 1 1/2 inches of horizontal (forward and backwards, not side to side) play where the CV goes into the housing. I called the shop that installed the CV and they said that was not possible and it must have been a faulty clip. They also said there is only one way to install it and it wouldn't have broken the C-clip. I am going to the shop tomorrow because they want to "check it out". So, anybody out there know if a driver's side CV axle C-clip can be easily broken, or is it possible that it could actually have been faulty? Any info about the install process pertaining to this scenario would be helpful as well. I have tried to search both here and LOST and haven't found any helpful info. Thanks.

I know this is an old post... But How did this pan out? I may be having a similar issue....