Question, please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I went to Moab awhile back and messed something up. At first I thought it was the driver's side CV drive axle, but that was replaced today, and the problem still persists. When I am driving I intermittently hear a noise and feel a vibration. It seems to be coming from the driver's side wheel area. It sounds like running over the rumble strips on the side of the highway but nowhere near as loud, but plainly audible. It occurs at all speeds, turning, not turning, all drive modes 2wd, 4wd Hi, 4wd Lo. Upon visual inspection everything looks to be in order and that has been verified by the mechanic who swapped over my new CV. So, my question, has this happened to anyone else, and / or do you know what the problem is / could be? Gracias Amigos!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Check that joint where the cv slides onto those spines.. Its on the passenger side.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check that joint where the cv slides onto those spines.. Its on the passenger side.

Would that cause noise and vibration on the driver's side? Wouldn't it be more centralized or nearer the passenger side?

Almost sounds like a wheel bearing, or hub going out.

How would I check that, or would that be a fix it and find out if the problem continues.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost sounds like a wheel bearing, or hub going out.

I kinda agree with this I have had bad hub bearings make the brake or speed sensor make that rumble strip noise due to gap change in the sensor to the bearing. Never had luck with cleaning or changing the sensor and not to happen just to Libertys
So maybe check the hub and if you have ABS d/c it to see if it stops
Hope this helps and just one more thing to check

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Jack up the front end, and check for vertical play like you're checking balljoints. Have somebody else keep their eyeballs on the wheel vs the knuckle...any movement there=bad hub bearing.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The hub bearings in KJ's are a crap shoot....some last 40k...some go well over 100k...

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses and help fellas. So it sounds like the hub bearing is most likely the culprit. Checking that will be at the top of my agenda for tomorrow.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
non-ABS, 112 from ThunderbirdJunkie's local supplier for a Timken. Normal folk price normally around 160. ABS knocks each up about 25 bucks

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that *****. I just dropped 50 bucks on a CV and 150 on labor. Figured spending the extra 50 bucks was worth not having to deal with the dealership (150 dollar deductible). They don't want to cover anything under warranty anyways so it probably would have cost more. Plus my wrenchin' skills aren't quite up to the task of doing the job myself yet. Hub bearing probably isn't either.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
BTW...get local prices. If it's not cheaper after shipping, ThunderbirdJunkie will get you one here and ship it to ya.

MMMMMmmmmm...wholesale accounts:D

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks. I'll have to check the local Jeep forum I'm apart of to see if there are any site sponsers that have / can get the part cheap.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
200 bucks for a National hub assembly.

170 for Timken, but they don't have the driver's side assembly listed.

Have to see what I can find locally tomorrow.

Sidenote: How hard is it to replace the hub assembly? Special tools required? Probably out of my range of repairs.