Question about TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boaz

Reaction score
HEy folks, long time lurker, first time posting.

Here is a little info,

05 KJ Limited, Im not sure what package, I would have to look on the sticker.
We have about 9500 miles on her. About a month ago, I noticed the tires were a little low (32-33psi) So I put them up to about 38-39 psi to help even out the tread wear and improve the MPG. ( I gained about 1.5-2mpg by adding 10psi to my Other SUV (04 4Runner). Today my wife tells me that a light was flashing on the dash on the way home. IT flashed 4 diff times and chimed once. I saw it was the tire monitoring system light on the dash and in the EVIC thing. Checked all tires including the spare. All of them were at 38-39 psi. So i cracked owners manual to see how to reset the tire monitoring system. Couldnt find anything to that effect. It said call the dealer in the manual. So I call the dealer and of course only they can fix and cant tell me how to reset it. When I get there I tell them that I checked the air in all 5 tires. They are blaming it on the fact that there is 38-39 psi of air in the tires. I think that s BS, the system is for when your tire is LOW on air correct? If im wrong fill me in. The KJ sat for about an hour, I drove it around and no light now...... Could this just be a fluke? Could 3 freakin PSI over 35 make it go off? The service writer at the dealership cant tell a differential from a door knob. This is the same writer that told me that "only the dealership is qualified to change the oil in your jeep". She told me this when I bought a OEM oil filter from the parts counter. I told her the only qualification need for changing oil was to not be an idiot that would belive that. I get tired of these dealerships treating people like the dont know shit about their vehicles.

Anyways, sorry bout the rant, so back to the point..... Could 38 psi cause that light to go off?

Thanks for your time!

Jake

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my experience yesterday asking the tech about TPMS seems typical and similar to yours. Most of these guys spend most of their time draining oil and don't even try to understand how things work.

My guess about the +3 psi is as good or worthless as anyone elses, but I think the system is relative and not absolute. It probably doesn't know your tires are at 38, just that there was a change over time. The system likely cycles with each start up, and if no change is detected after some number of starts, it no longer reports.

As I said, this is just my opinion, but it is how I would program the thing if I was the engineer at Chrysler and under pressure to cut $.03 from each vehicle built.

Latest posts

Members online