Question about 2005 Models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Renny, and every time I put the car in reverse, it sounds like the locks on the back gate does something...maybe locking it??
I had an 03 sport and I never heard this noise. Anyone with an 05 hear the same? I'm not too worried about it, but I would like to know what that it.
Thanks.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 6 speed, and I notice the back gate locking whenever I take off from a stop, forward or reverse. It is pretty loud for a lock, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to happen.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. thanks...I didn't want to complain about something thats nothing....and yes, it is pretty damn loud.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's loud, my '04 does it. I don't care... good thing. That way, no stupid people can enter from the back, lol. [-X

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good point! esp. if Im going into reverse and they try to come in....they're dead!
I just find it odd that my 03 never did that...must be a newer feature.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
so the thing just locks (rear gate) as soon as u shift?
hm, doesnt like with everything else like the earlier models...(15 mph or above 2k rpm)

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say when you shift, but when you are in a roll...I notice it when im just starting in reverse..just the tailgate...but yes, it still locks everything at 15mph as well.
strange huh?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
rennie2k5 said:
I wouldn't say when you shift, but when you are in a roll...I notice it when im just starting in reverse..just the tailgate...but yes, it still locks everything at 15mph as well.
strange huh?

Roll in reverse or drive (I think), at about 2-3MPH locks the rear door.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm good question...I guess since I'm always backing out to get out of my driveway or parking area at work, I just notice it in reverse...must experiment. :-k

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
rennie2k5 said:
hmm good question...I guess since I'm always backing out to get out of my driveway or parking area at work, I just notice it in reverse...must experiment. :-k

haha, I beat you to it.

Drive does it too. \:D/

Mlots

Reaction score
I just ordered a 2005 Liberty Limited, last week. Are you guys saying that the rear door automatically locks (with a loud sound) EVERY time you take off from a stop (or reverse), or does it lock only the INITIAL time, after starting up the vehicle? In other words, if the doors are locked, initially by the automated system, does the system keep trying to lock them automatically, even though the doors are already locked? That would get rather annoying, wouldn't it? Especially if the noise is as loud as you all say.

Thanks!

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not *loud* like a banging or anything, it's really just a "click". The only reason there's the "loud" to describe it is because you can hear it all the way up in the drivers seat.

And it's only the first time you take off after starting the car, not like, every time you take off at a green light or anything. It's nothing that gets annoying, at least not to me. I prefer having the doors & gate automatically lock like that, I don't want somebody opening up the hatch when I'm stopped in traffic (you never know)

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea its not really loud, its just a small click. I hear it all the time with my 05 sport, but it depends of the back gate is locked or not. it only happens when im in reverse going slow.

Mlots

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. This makes me feel a lot better. I agree with you and prefer the auto lock system. Just glad that it happens only after the intial startup.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I don't think it's just initial startup...

Time for more experimenting. I'll be back. \:D/

Yup... just initial startup. :-k Oh well... I must have been hearing something else. \:D/

Latest posts

Members online