Pump shuts off every gallon or less

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it has been frustrating filling up my liberty only at a certain gas station that has super slow flow setting. Anything faster that the lowest setting will shut the pump off.

I think the problem is the flow management valve because when I changed the pump, one of the nipples on it broke off and I used the adapter to try and fixing it but it broke off again second time i dropped the tank. I couldn't get it out so I just jammed it in there and put in another adapter. Doing that I think I clogged it up and now it doesn't let the air go out as I fill the tank up.

I cannot find a part number for that assembly.

Picture is below and you can see the air vent nipple that broke off and I am pretty sure I clogged it.

Is it a removable part? Can I try taking it off and try and take the stuck adapter out of it or just replace it? Dropping a gas tank is a pain in the butt so I don't want to do too much. It's either a new tank or new flow management valve if I can find the part #.

Unless there is something else that can cause gas tank to shut off pump and splash gas this often?

You must be registered for see images attach

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a How-To that fixes the problem with fuel splashing out when the pump doesn't shut off. But I don't know if that will fix the problem of the pump shutting off unless you're filling the tank very slowly.

IIRC the fix is a back flow valve from a GM vehicle....

Bob

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a How-To that fixes the problem with fuel splashing out when the pump doesn't shut off. But I don't know if that will fix the problem of the pump shutting off unless you're filling the tank very slowly.

IIRC the fix is a back flow valve from a GM vehicle....

Bob

It won't. In fact, it makes it worse. Mine used to splash out but ran at all speeds, including fast. Once I did the fix, it no longer splashes, but only runs at slow speed. :blah:

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used? Salvage yard tank?

Bob

I think that's what I'll do! Even though all the liberties we get here are mostly 02-04 i found some on car parts not too far away. Just ***** have to replace the whole thing when i think it could be twisted out, i remember seeing threads, but jeep parts doesn't list it as a separate item. Oh well better than getting stuck somewhere without gas because the darn thing wouldn't fill up

BobWa43

Reaction score
I am having the same problem in my 2005 Jeep Liberty. After 10 years and 160,000 miles it suddenly started shutting off the fuel pump almost immediately. With patience the tank can be filled in about 20 minutes. I have a shop manual for my jeep, but it has contradictory drawings of the fuel system depending on whether you are looking under "Fuel Delivery" or "Evaporative Emissions". From the picture in this thread I would guess the one in "Fuel Delivery" is the correct one. Note that there is also a "check valve"(#12 in the drawing) shown which I would guess could also create this sort of problem. What year is your Jeep? Please let me know if switching the tank fixed your problem.

Attachments

• Evaporative Emissions Fuel Tank.jpg
    Evaporative Emissions Fuel Tank.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Fuel Delivery.jpg
    Fuel Delivery.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 14

Jdizzle30

Reaction score
So it has been frustrating filling up my liberty only at a certain gas station that has super slow flow setting. Anything faster that the lowest setting will shut the pump off.

I think the problem is the flow management valve because when I changed the pump, one of the nipples on it broke off and I used the adapter to try and fixing it but it broke off again second time i dropped the tank. I couldn't get it out so I just jammed it in there and put in another adapter. Doing that I think I clogged it up and now it doesn't let the air go out as I fill the tank up.

I cannot find a part number for that assembly.

Picture is below and you can see the air vent nipple that broke off and I am pretty sure I clogged it.

Is it a removable part? Can I try taking it off and try and take the stuck adapter out of it or just replace it? Dropping a gas tank is a pain in the butt so I don't want to do too much. It's either a new tank or new flow management valve if I can find the part #.

Unless there is something else that can cause gas tank to shut off pump and splash gas this often?

You must be registered for see images attach
I just bought a tank at the salvage yard and they broke this is there a way I can pull it out of the old tank