Puff of blue smoke from exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
‘06 limited 192,000 miles. After it’s been sitting, with the engine cold upon first start there’s a puff of blue smoke. Once it’s been started or engine is warm there’s no issues. The previous owner ran synthetic oil in it, it’s not due for an oil change yet so I haven’t done an oil change. I’ve read this can happen with synthetic due to its smaller molecular structure. Should I go with this or could it be something else? It only happens at cold start. I’m hoping that’s all it is since I know it could be valve seals or rings, but unlikely rings.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next oil change, make sure you put the correct weight your engine calls for. Perhaps the wrong viscosity was used. Synthetic oil shouldn't have any difference in "resistance to flow" than old fashioned dino kind.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Also ensure the PCV valve is clean. Remove baffle inside the oil filler tube if it still has one, any gunk down in there?
Overnight just a puff of blue smoke can also be indicative of blowby oil remaining in the PCV lines.
Any oil in them ??

Attachments

• Oil in PCV Lines.jpg
    Oil in PCV Lines.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 12

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Has anyone done valve seals, part numbers?
Gotta get a compression test done also to see if the rings and cylinder bores are toast.
My engine is consuming oil almost faster than filling up.
146,000 miles on the engine.
I can almost say check the gas and fill the oil.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Synthetic causing it ?? LOL NO
at 192,000 valve seals are going or gone bad more than likely
Agreed. This is almost always indicative of oil getting past a cylinder or valve.

on the bright side, as it progresses, the men in black that follow you will get lost in the smokescreen…

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also ensure the PCV valve is clean. Remove baffle inside the oil filler tube if it still has one, any gunk down in there?
Overnight just a puff of blue smoke can also be indicative of blowby oil remaining in the PCV lines.
Any oil in them ??
I’ll check the valve and lines. No gunk in the oil filler tube. It is just a puff. It’s not a smoke show or anything. I’ll look into this.

Parkroad22

Reaction score
‘06 limited 192,000 miles. After it’s been sitting, with the engine cold upon first start there’s a puff of blue smoke. Once it’s been started or engine is warm there’s no issues. The previous owner ran synthetic oil in it, it’s not due for an oil change yet so I haven’t done an oil change. I’ve read this can happen with synthetic due to its smaller molecular structure. Should I go with this or could it be something else? It only happens at cold start. I’m hoping that’s all it is since I know it could be valve seals or rings, but unlikely rings.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.