Programming KEY FOB in 08 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse Maiolo

Reaction score
Hi everybody .Been a while since I've been on. Had a few Liberty's since.My latest is an 08 WITH 151K ON IT. I bought extra fobs on ebay, had one programmed at the dealer and the unlock worked but lock didn't. Got another one free since that one could be defective....still can't program in the car. I know it says 2 keys needed and technically I have 2,but still no go. Am I missing something? Thanks

Ronald

Reaction score

Programming a Single Key I never tried it but I might​

This is what I have a Jeep Liberty 2011 low miles mint with one working Key fob because the other key chip they used to hide under the dash for my electric start , so now with one working Key Has anyone proved out this procedure will work with one new cut Fob Key that's not programmed yet .should I take a change to do this?

A handful of manufacturers will allow you to program a single key, even if you don’t have a key that works. Keep in mind that you’ll still need to have the key cut to fit the ignition, which means you’ll need to provide proof of ownership to a locksmith.

That said, the process is much simpler than programming a second or third key:

• Insert the key into the ignition, and turn it to the on position. Don’t turn on the engine, only the electronics.
  • Leave the key in this position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds, and then turn it off.
  • Turn the key back on, and wait for additional 10 minutes and 30 seconds before turning it off again.
  • Repeat the process for a third time.
  • Return the key to the on position, and it will program the key.
  • Test your new key by turning on the ignition

Jesse Maiolo

Reaction score

Programming a Single Key I never tried it but I might​

This is what I have a Jeep Liberty 2011 low miles mint with one working Key fob because the other key chip they used to hide under the dash for my electric start , so now with one working Key Has anyone proved out this procedure will work with one new cut Fob Key that's not programmed yet .should I take a change to do this?

A handful of manufacturers will allow you to program a single key, even if you don’t have a key that works. Keep in mind that you’ll still need to have the key cut to fit the ignition, which means you’ll need to provide proof of ownership to a locksmith.

That said, the process is much simpler than programming a second or third key:

• Insert the key into the ignition, and turn it to the on position. Don’t turn on the engine, only the electronics.
  • Leave the key in this position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds, and then turn it off.
  • Turn the key back on, and wait for additional 10 minutes and 30 seconds before turning it off again.
  • Repeat the process for a third time.
  • Return the key to the on position, and it will program the key.
  • Test your new key by turning on the ignition
I had one key, no fob, that unlocked the doors. Got a key with fob, cut it and tried to program and couldn’t. Now I have 2 and still doesn’t want to program. Is that accurate what you wrote up there-10 minutes- not 10 seconds??

Latest posts

Members online