Problem with pumping gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has had as much trouble with filling up as I've had...and I'm not talking about the high price of fuel either. Every time I pump gas, it gets to about a gallon and stops, I restart...gets to a gallon and stops. It's driving me nuts!! Seems like its just filling the tube that goes down to the tank, then i have to wait for that gas to slowly drain into the gas tank then, i start the whole process over again. Takes me like 10 min. to fill up...and i know the people waiting behind me are getting just as pissed as i am.

If anyone has any input on how to fix this issue, I'd really appreciate it.

Tony

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best advice I can give is to change the angle
when you have the pump in there I found that having it pointing up
as much as you can helps with that
my '09 F250 is really bad about this
and it holds 36 gallons

New Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried pulling back on the pump a little. I find that the collars that they put on pumps now tend to trap air, as you`re filling up. The combination of air and fuel will trigger the safe guard in the pump.

What`s gas at down there? $1.09 a liter up here!

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3.03/gal yesterday for 87! Last time it broke $3/gal people started ******** and eventually it went down. Now we've been trained to think $3/gal is OK. Thank God I found a job closer to work. And my wife works about 5 blocks from me so we can carpool. We don't, but we *could*.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3.33 off base, $3.32 per gal US on base at JBR, but that is still better than $1.09 per liter. In the bush it goes well over $4 per gallon. (all reference 87 octane)

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup - I have a CRD and it takes a looong time to fill from empty. Apparently the fuel pipe to the tank is a fairly narrow bore (I was told its something to do with emission/fuel vapour control) and the only real way to make it better is to point/angle the pump nozzle up as far as possible to the 1o'clock position. You still can't fill at full flow rate, but you reduce the number of times the pump cuts out. Other than that, check the vent pipe occasionally to make sure it's clear. If it gets blocked, that can also make filling the tank harder.

As for price, we pay £1.20 - £1.22 per litre of diesel - more for the "uberdiesels" (BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power etc) That's about US$1.92 - $1.95 per litre

Last edited:

New Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup - I have a CRD and it takes a looong time to fill from empty. Apparently the fuel pipe to the tank is a fairly narrow bore (I was told its something to do with emission/fuel vapour control) and the only real way to make it better is to point/angle the pump nozzle up as far as possible to the 1o'clock position. You still can't fill at full flow rate, but you reduce the number of times the pump cuts out. Other than that, check the vent pipe occasionally to make sure it's clear. If it gets blocked, that can also make filling the tank harder.

As for price, we pay £1.20 - £1.22 per litre of diesel - more for the "uberdiesels" (BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power etc) That's about US$1.92 - $1.95 per litre

Wow....our price of diesel is almost the same as gas. Can't believe yours is $0.70 a litre more.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3.03/gal yesterday for 87! Last time it broke $3/gal people started ******** and eventually it went down. Now we've been trained to think $3/gal is OK. Thank God I found a job closer to work. And my wife works about 5 blocks from me so we can carpool. We don't, but we *could*.

wow
we pay about $2.85 for 93
and ~$2.65 for 87
dont care about the cost of the 87 I dont pay for it work does
the 93 goes in the VW so as long as we keep getting 26+mpg I am fine with
it being about $3
I pay for the gas in the Jeep and it only goes 1000 miles a year ,if that

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow....our price of diesel is almost the same as gas. Can't believe yours is $0.70 a litre more.

Google the California Air Resources Board. Pretty sure they HATE diesels. Let's ignore that they get better mileage, they put out black smoke so they must be evil. Stupid aspercreme holes and their stupid Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google the California Air Resources Board. Pretty sure they HATE diesels. Let's ignore that they get better mileage, they put out black smoke so they must be evil. Stupid aspercreme holes and their stupid Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

I agree!!! ever sit around in a 130 degree cab in summer trying to sleep because the state will slap you with a $500-1500 fine for idling more than 5 minutes? i try to find secluded areas with little street traffic so i can idle and get some sleep in my Kenworth

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes we get screwed over here!! Showing my age here, but I can remember when diesel was cheaper than petrol and obviously you got more miles to the gallon in a diesel, so people bought diesels, government lost revenue, government puts up price of diesel to compensate!! Easy!!
How the hell can you justify paying more for diesel, that isn't purified as much as petrol? All comes from crude!! Its like paying more for rough sawn wood than planed! There! Moan over.............. Thank you and goodnight. Hehe:smokin:

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had a problem with it cutting out during pumping. Instead I get an overflow when I fill up.

Mine did that when I first got it. It blew fuel back all over me twice. The breaking point was when it blew gas all over this lady's coat who was at the pump next to me. Took it in to the "stealer". They replaced the tank and the pipe up to the gas door under warranty. Works fine now with no blow back.

Mine only gives me trouble with clicking off the pump early at a few stations. Most of the time I can fill with the nozzle on full blast and no problems. Quik Trip pumps seem to be the only common culprit.

randrson

Reaction score
I've not had the shut off, but since I got mine about a month ago, I have had had the fuel vomit problem where it blows back on me.
I have it at the stealer right now so they can look at and tell me that I'm nuts. After two or more tanks of gas a week, I think I know when there is a problem...

And yes when it clicks off, just pull the nozzle out a bit or change the angle and the problem will go away. My Intrepid did that annoying shutoff crap whenever the nozzle was too far in or sitting at the wrong angle.

WEilers

Reaction score
I know that problem and it has nothing to do with your Jeep. The problem is with the station: look carefully at the dispenser handle. Odds are that the dispenser servicing company replaced it with a cheap aftermarket replacement rather than the original; the angles aren't up to the ISO standard. I've had it happen to me a couple times before.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had a problem with it cutting out during pumping. Instead I get an overflow when I fill up.
This is my problem as well.

I know that problem and it has nothing to do with your Jeep. The problem is with the station: look carefully at the dispenser handle. Odds are that the dispenser servicing company replaced it with a cheap aftermarket replacement rather than the original; the angles aren't up to the ISO standard. I've had it happen to me a couple times before.

I go to different stations and I get the same thing. Also, I didn't have any of these problem with my Audi, my Jetta, my Town & Country, nor my F-150.

Is is a problem with the Jeep.

Last edited:

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does have to do with the station's nozzle. They have a vapor recovery thing on them, which clicks them off. Since Im in NJ, and we cant pump our own gas, I cant really tell. The only thing that I have noticed is that when they are filling up, it doesnt seem to shut off automatically, and the gas just pours onto the pavement for a good second or two. This could be due to bubblage, but Im not sure since Im not there. ****** me off, and leaves a stinky stain.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does have to do with the station's nozzle. They have a vapor recovery thing on them, which clicks them off. Since Im in NJ, and we cant pump our own gas, I cant really tell. The only thing that I have noticed is that when they are filling up, it doesnt seem to shut off automatically, and the gas just pours onto the pavement for a good second or two. This could be due to bubblage, but Im not sure since Im not there. ****** me off, and leaves a stinky stain.

I am soo glad we still have self serve gas stations where I live. although they are getting harder to find.
first off, I don't like the way they ram the nozzle in as if they are trying to hit the bottom of the tank .( I've actually complained to the manager about this)
secondly I think if they overflow it they should be responsible for the clean up of our vehicles.
it might not allway's be freshly washed and waxed when I gas up but it still pissses me off . so for those reasons alone I will drive an extra ten to fifteen minutes to find a self serve. but maybe thats just me?

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont mind not having to get outside in the cold weather, but sometimes theyre stupid, and also squeeze extra gas in, which also drips out. The smell stays in the car for a day or to also when in goes everywhere. Its a waste of gas and my money too. Not to mention it leaves a dark stain on the plastic fender flares.