Probably a common wheel question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search but didn't quite find what I'm looking for. I have a 2005 crd that needs new tires. I'd like to do a lift and new springs but that's going to have to wait a little while. I know the pre 07 wrangler wheels bolt pattern is the same, as well as rangers, mustangs etc.. (5 on 4.5, Right?). So my question is, what is the back spacing difference between the wrangler 16 inch wheels and the kj? Or even the 00 ish Cherokees and grand Cherokees. I want a wider stance, and I'm going to run 245 75 16s so I'm trying to find out of the wrangler wheels will stick out a little more and if they will rub or not. I'm on a budget, and I can pick up some wrangler wheels on cl pretty cheap otherwise I will have to wait to get wheels until the next time around. I just can't stand it when the tires are inside the fender. I like it even or slightly more.

Thanks guys!

Sent from your Mom's house using Tapatalk

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
245/75R16 will be too big without a lift on 8 year old sagged suspension, so you will rub. You will rub even worse if you change the offset/backspacing to stick out on top of it.

The backspace on the Liberty stockers is 5.5".

The backspace on the 16" for the ZJ was 5.5".

The backspace on the stock 16" for the TJ are 5" with the MOAB wheels.

If that helps any.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
245/75R16 will be too big without a lift on 8 year old sagged suspension, so you will rub. You will rub even worse if you change the offset/backspacing to stick out on top of it.

The backspace on the Liberty stockers is 5.5". wheel width is 7"

The backspace on the 16" for the ZJ was 5.5". wheel width is 7"

The backspace on the stock 16" for the TJ are 5" with the MOAB wheels.wheel width is 8"

If that helps any.
Added some more info.

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does help, thanks. So basically all the stock 16s are the same other than the moabs.
One more question, if i do the lift and springs, what kind of back spacing would you guys recommend to achieve the stance I'm looking for? About even with the fender flares. Or I guess what is a commons backspacing with the 2 inch lift? Would the moabs achieve this?
Thanks again guys, this jeep is a whole new learning experience compared to my PSD.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It does help, thanks. So basically all the stock 16s are the same other than the moabs.
One more question, if i do the lift and springs, what kind of back spacing would you guys recommend to achieve the stance I'm looking for? About even with the fender flares. Or I guess what is a commons backspacing with the 2 inch lift? Would the moabs achieve this?
Thanks again guys, this jeep is a whole new learning experience compared to my PSD.

16 X 7 with 4 inches of backspacing
245-75-16 tires
this combination works best when lifted
The maroon one has that combination with 3.75 inches of lift
You must be registered for see images attach

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh that's perfect, thanks.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong post

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be worth mentioning that most KJ owners flatten the pinch weld within the front fenders to eliminate rubbing, even with a lift installed.

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill keep that in mind, thanks. Looks like I will be replacing the springs and throwing some coil spacers in when I do it so ill flatten that weld down too.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16 X 7 with 4 inches of backspacing
245-75-16 tires
this combination works best when lifted
The maroon one has that combination with 3.75 inches of lift
You must be registered for see images attach

What kind of light bar does the maroon one have on its bumper?

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually did some reading and I'm going with the ome kit. I'm not doing all that work for a shotty ride ha ha.

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like a pretty easy fab. Can anyone tell how it's mounted?

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like a pretty easy fab. Can anyone tell how it's mounted?

I'm sure tommudd mounted it different becuase its a different bar.....but mine when I had it.....

I just deleted the photos of how mine were mounted but look up thru where the d rings/hooks get mounted there's a pocket in the bumper and I drilled thru that part of the bumper and took off the grill and mounted it to the metal uniframe.

Sorry no pics....ever again from me....I have a steel bumper now!

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, thanks. My brother in law has a bender and I ha e a welder, the two pair nicely ha ha.