Power Steering, what to check?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I thought it may have just been the cold since it was 6 out and negative real feel and the car usually sits in the garage. Started it up to a loud whirring, instantly knew it was the PS. Turn the wheel and it groaned but did so as it normally does.

Now when the car is first started it is loud and calms down to normal quiet operation after a few moments/minutes. I don't notice any leaks so could it just be low on fluid or air in the system? Not sure what else to check before I just go replacing a pump unless it's a sign that it is about to go. 172k miles, 05 Liberty and I'm at work now so I need to just know what to look for when I get home tonight.

UPDATE: did some reading, seems it could be normal and I should probably just replace the fluid first, it actually hasn't been done since 100k. I can try that tonight.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't worry now if it goes away after being driven. Check the level and if it's good, I'd sit tight for now until it whines at warmer temps.

I just replaced my pump on my 05 at 168k, but it was whining even when warm a bit. If you haven't replaced your return lines (aka cooler lines) you likely have pinhole cracks in them that suck air in and then once warm seal back up. Not big enough to even leak fluid. Check your high pressure line too. Once it's warm out in a few months I'd recommend replacing the cooler/lines and see what happens then. A new Mopar pump is about $150 and that's what I used. If it makes you feel better you could replace that and the lines at some point. But for now, I would be surprised if it failed on your way home tonight.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It started last night and I assumed it was because of the cold. By the time we got home put the kids to bed, lunches for tomorrow, nightly routine, I had to go do the tires which were low from the temps. Then it was bed and of course day 1 back to work we woke up groggy and trying to start the routine over.

It's my wife's car so I'm not with it during the day, I plan on doing the fluid change regardless tonight for the low $ and it hasn't been done so why not. Then I can see how it goes.

I'm also in the process of ordering a tri-link and two front wheel bearings to get this car back in shape. Looking at Raybestos bearing hubs, replacing the whole unit instead of just the bearing.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Timken or SKF wheel bearings. Anything else doesn't last.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 KJ's PS has always growled very loudly when its really cold outside. Its very brief, only 2-3 seconds.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It started last night and I assumed it was because of the cold. By the time we got home put the kids to bed, lunches for tomorrow, nightly routine, I had to go do the tires which were low from the temps. Then it was bed and of course day 1 back to work we woke up groggy and trying to start the routine over.

It's my wife's car so I'm not with it during the day, I plan on doing the fluid change regardless tonight for the low $ and it hasn't been done so why not. Then I can see how it goes.

I'm also in the process of ordering a tri-link and two front wheel bearings to get this car back in shape. Looking at Raybestos bearing hubs, replacing the whole unit instead of just the bearing.

You have to replace the whole " hub" , can't just do the bearings
for tri-link, only Mopar if you want it to last
as far as P/S, change the fluid, it does help
The 04 and 05 have never made any real noise, but the 03 dies every now and again when really cold, changed it out and helped quite a bit

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at Raybestos bearing hubs, replacing the whole unit instead of just the bearing.

I put two Raybestos hub units on the front of my Ranger a few month ago and they seemed like pretty good quality. Couldn't give a long duration assessment but solid out of the box. I usually use Timkin but actually heard some bad things about them in relation to the Ranger. Pressed a new set of Timkins into the knuckles of my Outback a year or so ago and they were great. They were actually Koyo in a Timken box but think JTEKT owns both.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I checked the PS resevoir and it was almost empty. Took a full bottle of full synthetic fluid the. Did my turns end to end a dozen times. Drove it down the street and all was fine. So odd it was so low as there are no visible leaks or puddles.

I’ll monitor it and see, as for the hubs I was considering Timken as well so I may just get those the price difference is about $10. For the tri-link I’m having a hard time sprinting $400 for a mopar when everything else is hundreds less. I may just get an aftermarket like Moog and see how it goes. So far the Moog coil overs for the front and springs in the rear have been great.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you add synthetic power steering fluid ?? - You have an 2007 KJ correct?
It uses ATF+4 transmission fluid (which is synthetic) I hope its now not a mixture of PS fluid.
If it was that low.. you definitely have a leak somewhere.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I checked the PS resevoir and it was almost empty. Took a full bottle of full synthetic fluid the. Did my turns end to end a dozen times. Drove it down the street and all was fine. So odd it was so low as there are no visible leaks or puddles.

I’ll monitor it and see, as for the hubs I was considering Timken as well so I may just get those the price difference is about $10. For the tri-link I’m having a hard time sprinting $400 for a mopar when everything else is hundreds less. I may just get an aftermarket like Moog and see how it goes. So far the Moog coil overs for the front and springs in the rear have been great.

Please stick with the MOPAR tri-link. The cheap ones are cheap for a reason.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For the tri-link I’m having a hard time sprinting $400 for a mopar when everything else is hundreds less. I may just get an aftermarket like Moog and see how it goes. So far the Moog coil overs for the front and springs in the rear have been great.

Tri-link is a main part of the rear suspension, you want something good, and thats Mopar.
Years back the tri-link was on back order so I had to go cheap, its lasted less than 3 months , not worth my time and energy to install something that lasts that short of time.
But its yours so good luck, just trying to help.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It uses ATF+4 transmission fluid (which is synthetic) I hope its now not a mixture of PS fluid.
I used Prestone Full Synthetic PS Fluid rated for American cars specifically calls out Jeep on the label. Checked this morning and it was not lower and no puddle so we shall see, it is being monitored but it fired up quietly and so far so good she says.

Please stick with the MOPAR tri-link. The cheap ones are cheap for a reason.
I may just pickup the Timken wheel hubs now and save up for the MOPAR one, it's just crazy that it's literally triple the price when most MOPAR items for the car are only a few bucks more.

Tri-link is a main part of the rear suspension, you want something good, and thats Mopar.
Years back the tri-link was on back order so I had to go cheap, its lasted less than 3 months , not worth my time and energy to install something that lasts that short of time.
But its yours so good luck, just trying to help.
As above, I may just save up but the cost difference is just boggling. Don't take that as being cheap but more just sticker shock.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I used Prestone Full Synthetic PS Fluid rated for American cars specifically calls out Jeep on the label. Checked this morning and it was not lower and no puddle so we shall see, it is being monitored but it fired up quietly and so far so good she says.

I may just pickup the Timken wheel hubs now and save up for the MOPAR one, it's just crazy that it's literally triple the price when most MOPAR items for the car are only a few bucks more.

As above, I may just save up but the cost difference is just boggling. Don't take that as being cheap but more just sticker shock.

I'd want to get that Prestone stuff out of there. There's probably a mix in there now.

Latest posts

Members online