Power steering too hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so on my kj 03 whenever im at a full stop the steering wheel gets pretty hard after about one full turn of the steering wheel, i have to use both hands to make it turn. the level of the liquid is good. is my steering wheel going yay or is it my steering rack?

any possible solutions? i will change the fluid today

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump would make a lot of sense. Did you noticed any change in the turn you can do? is it harder than it was before?

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is definitely harder to turn the wheels and it gets harder as i approach the look on each side i change the steering fluid yesterday and did not find any metal particles, as i was changing the fluid it seemed to be helping but when i finished i got hard to turn the wheels again, it seems to be doing it randomly. sometimes it will be just fine and sometimes really hard

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is definitely harder to turn the wheels and it gets harder as i approach the look on each side i change the steering fluid yesterday and did not find any metal particles, as i was changing the fluid it seemed to be helping but when i finished i got hard to turn the wheels again, it seems to be doing it randomly. sometimes it will be just fine and sometimes really hard
With that several problems could be the cause.

--Restricted PS hose,can not been seen as they are bad internally,could be either the pressure,return,or transfer lines.

--Bad pump

--Bad rack&pinion steering gear

Sadly without a PS pressure tester to verify what is the problem by testing at all the hose connections your just going to be throwing parts on till it's fixed.

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just noticed that when at full stop on park if the steering is hard and i step on the gas bringing up the RPM to about 1500 it gets easier to turn but the pump makes a lot of noise

Latest posts

Members online