Power Steering Pump Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElecTape

Reaction score
Hey gang, noticed some leaking on the garage floor and followed it to the Power Steering. I'm thinking its either the reservoir or the pump, can't tell with it on so I pan on pulling it off to see for sure.

Is there a replacement gasket to go between the reservoir on the pump? Part#...anyone?

Is there a replacement reservoir? Can't seem to locate one online.

Do I need a Pully Puller or install tool for the pulley if I just replace the unit?

2005 3.7L 4X4 if that helps.

Thanks for the help.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Mopar Steering pump is crazy $ $437. The Mopar Re manned is no longer available. Rock Auto listing here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...+v6,1430900,steering,power+steering+pump,7380
If possible clean things up well, start it & look carefully where the leak is really coming from. Could be tank or of the lines or O-ring seal?
Flare nut wrenches required.

The 2005 full parts fiche is located here:https://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/05kj_PARTS_FICHE.pdf

I don't know if you can find one with a pulley, otherwise a special pulley removal tool is needed.
The factory service manual mentions TOOL C-4333, my guess shops may have one or dealership would.
The Pump is under steering in the FSM Here: https://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
New and rebuilt P/S pumps have pulleys available to buy for a few bucks and takes just a few minutes to install
Just installed one from Advance for a guy a couple of weeks ago

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are loaner tools for the pulley from your LAPS.

I would check the P/S pressure sensor as well for potential leak source.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When I have replaced P/S pumps here and bought the pulley they came with a bolt and dohickey to install them

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to remove the fan and shroud and serpentine belt to get at the pump. Consider replacing the hoses as well - mine literally exploded and sprayed atf over everything. If you change hoses you will need flare crow foot wrenches for the ps ram flare nuts.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You will have to remove the fan and shroud and serpentine belt to get at the pump. Consider replacing the hoses as well - mine literally exploded and sprayed atf over everything. If you change hoses you will need flare crow foot wrenches for the ps ram flare nuts.
Not on all, ( fan and shroud ) depending on what cooling system you have, towing cooling system then yes, regular, no you don't

ElecTape

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers gang!

I did a whole bunch of degreasing to try and find the leak and I'm not sure now its from the PS pump or lines. I've also checked the fluid level a couple of times and its stayed the same so I'm kind of still looking.

With all the cleaning I'm thinking maybe its an oil leak on the back side or edge of the oil pan now.

I got some more stuff to clean it up under there and will do another round of cleaning to try and pinpoint it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers gang!

I did a whole bunch of degreasing to try and find the leak and I'm not sure now its from the PS pump or lines. I've also checked the fluid level a couple of times and its stayed the same so I'm kind of still looking.

With all the cleaning I'm thinking maybe its an oil leak on the back side or edge of the oil pan now.

I got some more stuff to clean it up under there and will do another round of cleaning to try and pinpoint it.

Did you check the oil sending unit ? ( right above the oil filter )

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a really slow leak with my power steering pump assembly and was keeping the valve covered with the faintest ATF-4.
Was probably a seal that went bad. replaced it with a part from autozone and no more wet valve cover.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.