Power Steering Pressure Hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fiance just got back from another issue she had which I will post next. They told her that there was a tiny leak in her PSPH, but yet there is no signs of fluids under the car, they said it was due to where it was located.

They also quoted her like $430 for the job?!!?!?!

It's a hose, and a hose connects at two ends with either a clamp or screw on. So I can't imagine a hose costs $330 dollars cause I find it hard to believe it takes that long to get to the part.

My question is, I do a lot of my own maintenance on cars, both mine and hers. Is this something I could do myself, of course draining the fluid and refilling would be necessary, but what other steps am I missing in order to save myself $400 on what seems to be an easy repair?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year KJ? Do you have the PS cooler? If you have the PS cooler and it's one of the lines that connect to the PS cooler the only way to fix it is to replace the entire PS cooler that has the lines crimped on it,one of the hoses is rather long also,that would justify the high cost since you have to buy the cooler with the lines attached.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

It is a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade, stock. Not setup for towing or any heavy off-roading. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

justinspanier

Reaction score
My Jeep just developed a leak in the pressure hose. It leaks from the fitting that screws into the bottom of the power steering pump. Does anyone know if there is an O ring or something in there that can be replaced, or do I need to shell out 50 bucks and buy a whole new pressure hose? The rest of the hose is fine....no chaffing, and no cracking.

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the same issue here. Leak in power steering pressure hose. There are no signs of the leak except when you look under the car and see that the hose is damp. I was also quoted a few hundred bucks for this. Mine is a 2003 KJ Limited 4X4...is it really that complicated or are they trying to get their mortgage from me?

justinspanier

Reaction score
Rockauto.com has the hose for $50.00. According to my repair manual PDF, it is pretty easy. You disconnect the hose from the pump, then disconnect the bracket behind the driver's side headlamp assembly, then disconnect it from the gear. I'm guessing that there will be a lot of fluid lost, so it is probablly a good idea to have something underneath the vehicle. I deffinitely wouldn't pay a few hundred dollars for this fix!! Have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock while laying under the front driver's side looking up at the power steering pump. You will see right away where it is leaking as the steering wheel is being turned.

justinspanier

Reaction score
Found out after buying a new hose for $50.00 that I had a ruptured "O" ring at the fitting in the Power steering Pump. I could have just replaced the .10 cent "O" ring, but I'm going replace the hose anyway since it is almost 10 years old. I've attached a sketch I made of what the fitting looks like. The fitting at the power steering pump is shown, but the fitting on the other end is similar.

Attachments

• POWER STEERING PRESSURE HOSE END.pdf
    12.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The high pressure hose let go on my KJ when it was just a pup, like about a year old. The dealer fixed it free under warranty. It was just a fluid spray I happened to notice when I was cleaning in there. The dealership did a really good job of cleaning the spray off everything, too, which surprised me.;)

RedKJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to my Jeep last winter. It started as a small leak just making the hose look wet up behind the headlight until one day when pulling into my driveway with it in 4hi as there was a good foot of snow on the ground the hose blew out of the crimp covering my engine compartment and my driveway with power steering fluid. Wow does that make for some red snow!!!

emarlowe39

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I am member of the RubiconOwnersForum.com and i also work for J.P.M. Hydraulics Inc. in Lowell, MA. we have been around for 25+ years repairing all types of hose and tube assemblies. just recently i have been making up Jeep Liberty power steering hose assemblies for my local Jeep Dealer (1400 Motors in Nashua, NH (888) 445 - 9168) Well i know that these hoses have been on national back order, so i have come up with my own hose made from scratch and have been selling direct to the dealer. the hose is $180+- from the dealer. well i started selling them on ebay, but our business not being on computer, the paperwork has been tough in the long run and not really worth the time. so i thought i would post up on Liberty forums. the hose is the one that comes from the gearbox and runs along the crossmember by the steering rack and does a u-turn with a tube, then back to the cooler with hose. The factory hose is leaking at the crimps and is using a hose that has a nylon braid core and is typically good for about 500 psi. Our hose assembly has a constant working pressure of 3000psi, is a lightweight hose with a steel braid core, which is superior to the factory hoses. All hoses have the same bends in the tube to make this install a breeze, along with a high heat orings for a long lasting seal.

I am sorry for this being my first post and I know that some forums a yearly due must be paid in order to post a sale type ad, or be a sponsor, but i am just trying to help out the drivers that want to back in their jeeps, and not have a puddle all over the place in the driveway. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me for information on the hose.

We take credit card over the phone, and i have 4 of these hoses on the shelf ready for shipment and as they are sold i will make more. Hoses ship out same day UPS ground for a cost of $115.00 SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR. Attached is a photo of the hose that i am selling to replace your factory leaking one.

Eric Marlowe
J.P.M. Hydraulics Inc.
131 Montreal St.
Lowell, MA 01852
978-453-7567

You must be registered for see images attach

JKJ STAFF

Mod Squad
Administrator
Reaction score
but i am just trying to help out the drivers that want to back in their jeeps, and not have a puddle all over the place in the driveway.[/IMG]

That's why your post is still here.

Please run any future add's by an administrator or a moderater first, thank you.

emarlowe39

Reaction score
JKJ STAFF: i apologize for that, and appreciate you allowing it to stay. If you know of anyone with any issues with that line please forward the post to them and ill get them back up and running. Thank You

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking assembly, i archived your contact info to a contact card in my cell phone, i know where i will be buying a replacement if needed!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CarQuest has the KJ P/S pressure line(ones around here have them in stock) and they run $101+tax.They even have the pressure switch port which the older KJ's need but comes with a plug for the newer KJ's that do not need the port.

You must be registered for see images attach

The line above will not work in a '02 KJ and possibly a '03 KJ due to no pressure switch port.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn something heavy duty like that won't work in the 03'? Bummer..

Yeah i see Rock Auto has them cheap, i use them for parts all the time!

emarlowe39

Reaction score
tjkj2002 if you could give me your town to try to get a photo from carquest to be sure that this is the same hose, because i did get in touch with rockauto and from my understanding it is not the same hose and the lady on the phone would not send me a photo so that i could be 100% positive. i did however find this photo which is the hose that i am understanding is the same hose that Rockauto sells and not the one that i have been making for my local dealer.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-steering-parts/liberty-kj.htm HOSE #3

as far as the pressure port goes, jeep discontinued the pressure port and grounded them out so that it would not throw the engine code. That is what the dealer informed me of

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I bought and installed rockauto.com hose,no problem,looked ,mounted,etc. same as oem.

emarlowe39

Reaction score
and its the same as the one above in the photo? kudos to you guys for finding it, other forums i have looked at and mentioned have never found it and neither have I. first place i checked was the dealers and they all say that they are on extreme back order and that they are junk at the crimps because they leak. all in all if anyone has any other problems with them (oem or rockauto) look me up ill be able to make one up. RIDENBY thank you for the info

Frozentoze

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be doing this job this weekend. I stopped off at Autozone and they had the hose assembly for $72 next day. Good enough.

Was there anything special about getting this hose assembly changed out? Could you access both ends and all brackets of the hose directly or did you have to disassble other stuff to get access?

I'll probably lose the full reservoir of fluid, any guess as to the full refill volume? 1 quart of ATF+4 going to cover it?

I have a 2002 3.7L Renegade 4WD w/ 169k, and it had been a northern car for most of that life. Looks to me like the tubing fittings near the gearbox are rusted and bleeding a slow (but increasingly fast) leak. Im going from full reservior to noisy pump about every 3 days now. Hope for nice weather this weekend in the driveway.