power steering hoses (return line from gear to cooler)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Another issue for me to fix the inherited jeep this Saturday. :favorites68:
The PS fluid in reservoir is horrendously black.
The PS whines as well and I found that the high pressure line was not installed correctly (sans the mounting bracket) and has some chaffing on it and chaffing though the wire harness right below it.

I'm thinking of replacing the lines but I'm not sure of the part for return hose from the steering gear to the cooler. see circled part of diagram
You must be registered for see images

I've searched though all the PS posts in the forum but only found "How tos" to replace the high pressure hoses and the return hose from the cooler to the pump.

My questions are:
1. if I plan to change the PS hoses, should I change them all? or is replacing the high pressure hose and return hose between cooler and pump enough, and not worry about the circled hose?
2. Is there replacement hoses for that return hose in question between the steering gear and cooler? Does it come as an assembly w/ the cooler? I can't find the part at all on NAPA/http://www.avondalewholesaleparts.com

Please help! I'd like to get the parts ordered as soon as possible.
Thanks!

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure on parts other than dealer on that hose. Others will chime in soon I hope.
Are you loosing any fluid from the PS reservoir? In other words is there a leak/air in system? Even a slight pin hole can cause air to enter system so it is probably good to get at least the one circled.
The Jeep uses ATF+4 red (trans fluid) in the system. I just suction mine out with a hose and veterinary syringe and may have to do it a couple of times to get fresh fluid in there. To stop the Whine I had in mine, I mix now with 50% ATF+4 and 50% LubeGard Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid Link: LUBEGARD Platinum Universal ATF Protectant
You can also remove the return line to pump and keep adding new to flush, but new seals may be required then.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a part with the cooler attached like so
NAPA AUTO PARTS
but it does not look correct. Same thing for MOPAR as well.

I don't think I'm loosing any fluids at all but it definitely needs to be flushed. It's black.
I think it may be a sign that the hoses are bad? There is some grime and oil on the PS hoses. I wiped them off last week and didn't see signs of return yesterday. I think it could have been from when the oil pan failure many years ago before I was even part of the story.
not sure. thoughts?

Also with that chafing on the high pressure hose and it without the mounting bracket is 'no bueno'. Fortunately, I think the replacement part comes with a bracket and I just need to find rubber grommets that would fit. I'm definitely replacing the hoses just not sure what to buy as a replacement for the hose in question.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I think it was originally PS fluid so I'll be flushing it out with ATF+4 first to see whether that takes care of the problem. Haynes manual mentioned whining could be caused by the PS hoses being on some other part so hopefully the high pressure hose on the mount would help as well.

I'll certainly give your suggestion a shot if that doesn't work. Thanks.

Edit: I current have the high pressure hoses and the return hose from cooler to pump in wire sleeves to prevent more chaffing until I get them replaced.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If You have that setup in your KJ like the pic you posted(normally only a early '02 model PS hose setup) then Part#4 is the PS cooler and all the lines attached to it that come from the gear and attach to the pump.

I had that setup but ditched it and ran much shorter return lines and keeping the cooler,just used bulk 3/8" trans cooler hose and new hose clamps.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If You have that setup in your KJ like the pic you posted(normally only a early '02 model PS hose setup) then Part#4 is the PS cooler and all the lines attached to it that come from the gear and attach to the pump.

I had that setup but ditched it and ran much shorter return lines and keeping the cooler,just used bulk 3/8" trans cooler hose and new hose clamps.

Do you mean you replaced hose between the gear and the cooler with this?
NAPA AUTO PARTS

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm..... do you think it will be an issue that the return hose from the gear to cooler is shorter than the original ones? I'm not sure whether having an extreme bend without the metal part in the hose would a good idea.
What I mean is instead of going around in a loop like the picture, it would be snaked directly to the cooler.

Thanks.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. I finally replaced the hoses.

Unfortunately, it took hella long to remove the clutch fan and I damaged the threads on
the fitting on the high pressure hose coming out of the pump. Thankfully not the threads on the pump.
This was due to the slight angle it has on the pump.
I didn't have a die to fix the thread so got a replacement from Fartozone.

Definitely, bolt on the fitting for the pump end of the high pressure hose from the bottom of the jeep looking up into the pump. $70 mistake :favorites68:

All the O-rings were MOPAR from all the advices I've read on the forum. (you'll need 4 if you're changing all the hoses. one for the pressure sensor too)

Like everyone else too, it was a PITA to screw on the high pressure hose mounting bracket behind the driver side headlamp.

Key tools: magnetic pick up telescoping tool to help position the screw.

I want to say that I'm lucky I have small asian hands that I was able to squeeze in to figure tight them by hand.
Also, I want to point out that there's a pre-existing square hole below the headlamp which allowed me to torque the screws down.

It wasn't an issue so far to use a shorter hose for the gear-to-cooler line. As previously, mentioned there's replacement part for that line but a full assembly including the cooler and a cooler-to-pump hose which was pricey.

Bleed the line by jacking the front end up and turning the steering wheel from lock to lock about ten times. Required just shy of a quart to fill.

I just want to say that I hope to not deal with any power steering hoses for a very long time.
Thanks for the help suggestions.

Last edited: