Power steering hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m replacing my power steering pump and hoses on 2003 Liberty, and when i went to buy gear to cooler hose it turned out to be different from what was in the car. Originally i had a longer hose that bolted to the frame by the rack and pinion, did a u and came back to the cooler. Now I’m offered a short run of hose straight to the cooler. Has anyone changed theirs and seen this issue?

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive not, but Ive always wondered why that big loop was there.

That loop of hose is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on a car, mechanically speaking. Not to mention you have to take the grill and headlight out just to unbolt it. If there was some sort of inline filter on the thing, I could excuse the design perhaps, but there isn't anything,

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That loop of hose is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on a car, mechanically speaking. Not to mention you have to take the grill and headlight out just to unbolt it. If there was some sort of inline filter on the thing, I could excuse the design perhaps, but there isn't anything,

OP is talking about the low side P/S hoses.....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Drill one hole in the core support and you can get a socket right down on it
One of those tricks of the trade

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drill one hole in the core support and you can get a socket right down on it
One of those tricks of the trade
I didn't have to do that on my 2006 but I may have had more room as I replaced that hose when I had my radiator out. It still wasn't any fun getting the new one bolted down in there

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont recall having to do anything special to replace that hose... Been many years ago, but I don't think I removed anything.

02kjtoleeedo

Reaction score
Yeah so the power steering set up on my 02 kj has this and was more complicated than I expected. All the ones at the junkyard I found with the same bulging issue. I uploaded some of the pictures I took, it's still open though I can take better pics of the whole thing:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

By-passing that whole loop would be ideal as the mopar part is prohibitively expensive. I have no idea what I'm doing though and it may not be worth fixing on my 02!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the bulging you are seeing is near those clamps, it should not be an issue.

If there is a hydraulic shop near your house, you could take the lines you need to replace to them and get a quote for replacing the hose if the ends are in good shape. Did that with my old kubota front end loader and saved a bunch of time and money by them redoing the lines for me.

02kjtoleeedo

Reaction score
If the bulging you are seeing is near those clamps, it should not be an issue.

If there is a hydraulic shop near your house, you could take the lines you need to replace to them and get a quote for replacing the hose if the ends are in good shape. Did that with my old kubota front end loader and saved a bunch of time and money by them redoing the lines for me.
It still works even though the seals are shot, put some snake oil in there and just gonna drive it until it really goes and then I will take your advice!