Power steering fluid ATF+4 or PS fluid??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brought my '05 in for the rear control arm recall and the guys at Jeep performed a safety check and noticed my PS reservoir was lower than normal, that my line was leaking.. Going to add some more fluid but was confused when I opened the manual and it said to use ATF+4 ****** fluid and not regular PS fluid?

What's the right one to use? Difference?

Thx

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, ATF+4.

Dave

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone's Liberty leaks their PS line at this mileage. Mine's leaking a wee bit too. But yeah, use ATF+4.

nmadd118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha I read the owners manual but the nitwit at the auto parts store said "no, you do not want to use transmission fluid, that will ruin your PS system" so figured I'd ask.. I only have 54k miles and it doesn't seem to be leaking too bad.. Might just keep an eye on it and put off fixing it

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Mobil 1 ATF 50K ago no problems. Also used a bit of Lucas because aways had Seepage from the Rack adjustment bolt. The Lucas worked haven't seen seepage since.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone's Liberty leaks their PS line at this mileage. Mine's leaking a wee bit too. But yeah, use ATF+4.
My '02's PS lines have never leaked till the day I removed them.Then again I never used ATF either and actually flushed the fluid once a year using Valvoline max life PS fluid.

I know run ATF in my PS but my lines are now ATF rated also.The only place I could possiblely ever think of running amsoil in since I had 2qts I won from MOAB a few years ago.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I think that the power steering hoses were designed to seep ATF just so Chrysler or
after market suppliers could sell more hose assemblies!
Ours are four months old and do the same thing!
I'm two fittings away from using some Aeroquip hose I have kicking around!
Even then I'm sure something else will start dribbling from somewhere!