Potential Next Buy: Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX in 245/75/16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I sold my black powdercoated Icon wheels to a fellow member of the forum (mkusmc) yesterday and have been itching to blow the money. Well since I've lifted these 245/70/16's BFG AT's just aren't big enough for my liking. I found these Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX's on eBay for $820. They seem to be a nice combination of what I am looking for, a meaty looking all terrain that is rough enough to get me where ever from time to time but still practical and useable on the highway where I will be spending most of my time. I have recently acquired a 1990 Pathfinder V6 4x4 5-Speed that I am in the process of turning into a hunting vehicle and just got a nice set of BFG KM1's for, so I will be driving it from now on when I go hunting. This way I won't be using my Jeep that much in the nasty gumbo mud so a nice set of All Terrains in the right size will be most practical and useful for me. I would like to sell my BFG's for about a third of what these would cost me because they've only got 28,000 miles on them and are just under half tread. We all know the BFG AT's are know to run twice that long. I just think I would be better off and happier to get rid of them while they're still worth something. However, I was just curious if you guys had any opinions on these Coopers or any experience with them. This is the first I have seen of them but I'm not sure if they're new or not.

eBay Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310354247509?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Here are a few pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

rkkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about tires other than these will certainly look good. I was thinking of a set of Duratracs in about the same size. If you do get them, keep us posted on how they work out for you.

hoff1221

Reaction score
duratracs is what i got and i love them, i was thinking of getting a set of them before i got my duratracs though

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Well I just ordered me a set of 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers from eBay, and after I deposit the cash into my account I will be ordering me a new set of 245/75/16 Cooper S/T MAXX's tomorrow! Should be here by friday and installed by the weekend so I'll be sure to post pics and comments!

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265 70 16 is roughly the same size as 245 75 16 (30.6 vs 30.5 inches high).

The 245 size gives less rubbing on UCA or swaybar then 265 with a stock rim combo without spacers. Its also at the verge of regearing to 4.10s and regarded as the biggest you can go without changing the rear end from a liveability standpoint.

265 65 16 are about an inch shorter (29.6) then either of the other 2 combos.

245 75 16 also have a huge selection of tires by comparison with either of the 265 70/65 combos.

265 75 16 (31.7 or 32's) on the other hand, tire selection is huge but comes at a regearing premium.

245s also weigh less then 265 if your trying to cut down on revolving weight.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Why does everyone run 245/75/r16? Is there a huge difference from that to 265/65/r16?

Well the difference comparing them side by side off of a rim isn't that much really and even the sizes don't seem that much different which causes most to think that it will work fine on the KJ. However, in metric tire sizes the first number is the tire width measured in milimeters. The second number is a percentage of the width measurement that is equal to the measurement of the sidewall, and the last number is obviously the rim diameter. A 245/75/16 comes out to be 30.46" tall and 9.65" wide where a 265/65/16 comes out to be 29.56" tall and 10.43" wide. As you can see the larger number of the 265 only represents the tires width and is almost an inch wider than the 245. This is because 10mm is about 0.4" so for every 20mm wider you're gaining about 0.8". So with a 265/65/16 you would have a 0.90" shorter tire than the 245/75/16 and 0.78" wider. Now you may say well I can keep that little bit of extra width from the 265 and bump up to a 265/70/16 which is a 31.60" tall tire with a width of 10.43" so that you gain even a little more height of 0.14" over the 245/75/16. Where the trouble comes in is that extra 0.78" of width, you may not think it would make that big of a deal but those fractions of an inch will cause more rubbing, require more trimming, cause more power loss and cut your gas mileage even deeper. A wider tire has more surface area touching the ground, this causes more friction, more friction causes more resistance, more resistance causes a larger need of power to rotate the tire. The more power it takes to turn over the tire the more sluggish your rig will feel and result in worse gas mileage. To avoid all of this power loss you can regear to 4.10 gears in the front and rear, however, that will cost you a pretty penny and most of us had rather just buy that 0.78" narrower tire that keeps you just on this side of having to regear and avoid the high prices of it. Atleast for right now that is, because we all would love to have 4.10's lol.

Width:
245mm = 9.65" vs 10.43 = 265mm
Height:
245/70/16 = 29.51"
245/75/16 = 30.46"
265/65/16 = 29.56"
265/70/16 = 30.60"

Last edited:

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Well the deed is done I have ordered 4 Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX's in 245/75/16 and will be accompanying them with SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers. Hopefully the installs will be finished by the middle of next week so I can post pics!

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
What, no matching spare tire Wes?

Well Ryan I couldn't afford a matching spare but did find me a full size Firestone steeltex that is brand new on craigslist for $40 that I plan to buy for my spare! So may not be the same tread but will be the same size if I need it!

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't Worry i still dread the day i have a blow out. I have the Stock tire Spare still Due to I'm not sure if the tire size i run would fit and weight and of course I'm too cheap to buy a spare.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Don't Worry i still dread the day i have a blow out. I have the Stock tire Spare still Due to I'm not sure if the tire size i run would fit and weight and of course I'm too cheap to buy a spare.

You can buy adapters that set the wheel out further away from the tailgate to fit wider tires like 265's. Weight probably wouldn't be an issue I doubt 265's weigh a whole lot more than 10 ply 245's

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Well got the tires in this morning and got them put on by lunch! They're great! Exactly what I was looking for in a tire! Pretty aggressive but still a reliable all terrain that is highway friendly! I couldn't tell hardly any difference in power really, but I did notice the extra weight of the 10ply when braking quickly. They ride great and do very well in the water so far its been raining all morning. I am very pleased and although I'm in no position to do a review with barely 50 miles on the tires, I would highly recommend them at this point simply on looks, quality, and handling.

Here are some pics!

Last edited: