Possible Trans Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tru

Reaction score
:disgust:

2005 Jeep Liberty
2X4 V6 3.7L
130,000 Miles

Like to start off saying that this is a PRETTY COOL SITE and luv that everyone knows there stuff on the Libbys and all!!!

Now to my dilemma....

Today while driving to work on the freeway at about 60 to 65 MPH, i hear/feel a big JOLT/PULL BACK sort of a rev down type a feel on my Liberty. I immediately put it on neutral and pulled off to the side road. Exited the freeway off the ramp to the main street on momentum. As I tried to get the Liberty back on D it will not take the gear. All it does is rev and that is in all gears D,1 and 2. I tried shutting truck off and on and still nothing. The engine runs fine its that the trans will not gear up. Please don't say that the trans already went bye-bye on me, I bought the truck used just 2 months ago. Just last week I felt a very minor jolt but didn't think anything of it. Whats funny is that after I'd stopped and restarted it, the truck would not moved on neutral, it seemed to stay stuck as if the car was locked in park. However to push it to the side I had to place the shifter on Park while the ignition is semi on... WEIRD!!!!
Question-
Could this have been what the POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION recall is referring about?

Anyone's advice will be DEEPLY appreciated!!! :shrug:

Last edited:

Tru

Reaction score
To scared ($$$$) to take it to the dealer.... So i took it to a friend that works from home on the weekends.. Told me that the transmission is SHOT! :(

Says that when he puts its on reverse it make a LOUD SCREECHING noise, but still it wont budge! Now out to look for a ******.

Question.. how can i determine the type of ****** to replace it with since I now have to shop around for one? Will a 4X4 automatic ****** fit the 2x4? Where is a go source to read about the differences?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
If you have to replace the transmission, your year KJ calls for the 42RLE ******.

But, as said above. Try changing out your fluids or taking it to the dealer. Work through some of the less expensive options before giving it up for dead.

Tru

Reaction score
yellocoyote, how would i know if its a 3 plug or 4 plug connector...? while shopping around they ask me that.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It almost sounds like an electrical issue. Correct me if I am wrong, but the auto trans uses electronic solenoids to shift/clutch? One of my coworkers went through a similar symptom for a couple months, dealer trips and all(under warranty anyway) on a GMC/Allison trans. It ended up being the computer in the trans confusing the shift points to engage simultaneously. He only had 50k on it.