Possible bumper with OME lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BK2002

Reaction score
I am curious if an aftermarket bumper or bush guard without a winch ( possibly ARB) will work with a 926/947 OEM lift- Bilstein shocks?

Wondering about the weight aspect or do you have to have a 927/948 setup? I have read where if you have a bumper/winch 500# or CRD you should go with the 927/948 but I will not have a winch.

As always, appreciate the help.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A cheap thin walled " brush guard type " will be ok with 926s since they are paper thin
For an ARB , 927s without a winch will work

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed OME 926 (M) and 945 (L) on my early KJ and the ride is fairly plush. It feels like it now has slightly firmer but much longer suspension travel. So overall, a great improvement for offroad. Also, as a cheaper and less-stiff alternative to Bilstein shocks, I have Rancho RSX5000's installed and they feel great paired with OME. It seems to me that the front's (even though rated as Medium) have the same rate as the rears. That's consistent with what ARB has informed me. So far I gained about 2" rear, 1.5" front.

That said, I plan on having a winch installed on the front and it doesn't seem like the 926 will support the winch's weight without being compressed a bit - maybe 1/4 - 1/2". So I plan to install strut mount spacers to level it out post winch install.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just installed OME 926 (M) and 945 (L) on my early KJ and the ride is fairly plush. It feels like it now has slightly firmer but much longer suspension travel. So overall, a great improvement for offroad. Also, as a cheaper and less-stiff alternative to Bilstein shocks, I have Rancho RSX5000's installed and they feel great paired with OME. It seems to me that the front's (even though rated as Medium) have the same rate as the rears. That's consistent with what ARB has informed me. So far I gained about 2" rear, 1.5" front.

That said, I plan on having a winch installed on the front and it doesn't seem like the 926 will support the winch's weight without being compressed a bit - maybe 1/4 - 1/2". So I plan to install strut mount spacers to level it out post winch install.
No, just no, while it " may " get you back to the same height now, it will sag due to the extra weight
But then I know nothing, right ? ;) :rolleyes: :p:):):)

You got real lucky is you found some RSX Rancho shocks , they stopped making them 10 years ago and they were a fantastic shock.
The RS line are OK for street driving for a while
I like how they now put an X on the end of the number trying to trick people into thinking they are buying a great shock.
I stopped running anything Rancho when they stopped the real RSX line

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online