Possessed KJ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again, I'm posting here in the hopes that someone might have SOME idea of where to go with this. I've got an 02 KJ with 186k on it, and have been fighting with it for the last two months to get it to run right.

First day it started, I went out to turn it on and it cranked, turned over and over and over but wouldn't start. Took it in, had the fuel pump replaced. Since then, its favorite thing to do is crank, start, quiver, and either die, or rev up to normal RPMs. The interior lights flicker like crazy when the engine is revved up, and more than once we've had to jump it to start it (turn the key, absolutely NOTHING happens). One time, we jumped it and it would NOT start while it was hooked to the other vehicle, but it started right up once it was NOT connected any longer.

It's now been back to the mechanic 7 times, and he hasn't been able to solve the issue. He initially said it needed a new computer, because when the fuel pump went it shorted something out so that the Jeep wouldn't start with the chipped key. The alternator does not test as needing to be replaced.

Until last week it has been running fine, starting was always the issue. I pulled up to a gas pump, put the fuel in, turned it on and it hovered at about 300 RPMs, no exhaust note but the vehicle was DEFINITELY running. Tried to give it some gas to rev it up, but the needle only twitched and then nothing happened. Turned it off, turned it on again, same thing. Gas pedal was completely ineffective. Third time, turned the key on and off three times in an attempt to prime the fuel system, and then it started right up.

I'm baffled, but I read something about ECU capacitors possibly being an issue. Any ideas? I really need to sell the thing and if I can tell the buyer what's wrong with it I would feel a lot better! I'm including links to a few videos of its symptoms.

Things we've tried:
- New battery
- New wires going TO the battery
- New spark plugs
- New drive belt
- Cleaned throttle body and IAC
- Driving 200 miles to see if it helped
- Kept engine revved to about 3,000 for a couple of minutes

Start and stall:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202551016280541&l=2682256320799770523

Completely dead after sitting overnight:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202568778564587&l=7997792734187098866

Lights flickering when revved:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202573784769739&l=8150389818696536062

Weird noise that just started today:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202623266886761&l=869469436968452832

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely need to get some codes.
If you cannot get hold of a scanner then the "key" trick definitley works on the early KJs.

Turn the ignition ON/OFF rapidly 4 times without starting the engine.
After the 4th ON action leave the ignition ON...the Odometer display should display the stored codes in sequence...from very old codes which may not be relevant anymore to the newest codes. It takes some practice to get this to work...some say 3 times ON/OFF and some say 5 but I know my 2002 Export CRD definitely works with 4 times rapid ON/OFF.

This method does not erase codes and has a habit of sometimes transposing the last two digits but if you can get the last codes posted it will give us something to work on.

Engine not turning over could be a bad interlock of either the Park or the Neutral switches...try putting it into Neutral instead of Park and see if it then turns over. Or the Starter Relay under the hood is suspect...swap it over with a similar relay next to it.

While you are playing around there in the fuse box under the hood....swap over the ASD relay with a similar one.

Jeep stalling after starting could be a bad fuel filter or bad crank sensor or bad cam sensor....the last two should hopefully produce a code.

Interior lights dimming could be a bad alternator or slipping alternator belt or the earth strap that grounds the engine to the chassis could be dirty or loose on one or both ends.
The alternator does not have an internal regulator as stated by one of your facebook friends...it is regulated by the PCM. However make sure that the large wire on the alternator is firmly in place and that the two-pin small connector on the alternator is clean and firmly in place.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the tips! It has been tested with three different reliable scanners and none of them have produced any codes. I have tried the on board OBD reader as well but to no avail. It has not stalled after starting since he cleaned the throttle body, but it is still acting like it is going to. It also has not died overnight in some time (knock on wood).

I have checked the wires going to the alternator myself, and also had my mechanic check them. Is it possible that the root cause is the computer itself and I should just try replacing that? Part of me wants to figure out what the heck is wrong with it, but at the same time I would just love to see it go down the driveway to someone who WANTS to fix it. Mechanic actually told me to burn it the last time it was there. I am bringing it to another mechanic later this week to see if they can find anything, and to have them do a fuel pressure test.

Ugh!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the 1st vid it sounds like it's struggling to turn over like a bad battery or bad battery connections.Just because the battery is new and the battery cables are new(unless OEM stuff you have the incorrect cables for a KJ,no one makes after market battery cables for a KJ) does not mean they are good.The start and die can be from the chipped key or a bad battery,a messed up IAC can also cause it.90% of the time taking out the IAC,cleaning it,then re-installing will kill a IAC.

Can't view the others,no facebook(damn commies anyway).

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: It started the next morning so I took it to a different trustworthy mechanic. Turns out the new fuel pump was defective (bad windings) and after a week of trying the guy finally got it to strand him. He kicked the gas tank and it started right up! Got that pump replaced under warranty since we did some sleuthing to find out where the bad one has come from and he only charged me labor.

Since then the thing will literally start first try for everyone except me. Only starts the second try for me. Also now have a weird pulsing sound that gets louder at highway speeds but never increases in frequency like a wheel bearing would. Seems to be some sort of reverberating noise from the muffler? It's still tentatively for sale but I kind of want to fix it and make it my daily driver again...

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds more and more like a computer issue to me. I had similar ghost issues with my '99 Dodge Intrepid. I eventually replaced the ECU...problem solved. I had frequent hard/no starts, weird idle fluctuations, flickering interior lights. I replaced several parts before swapping the ECU. Very frustrating. I'm suspicions odd the fuel pump being defective...not much to those...Bad ECU can drain a battery... I'd have that checked by a reputable dealer. Good luck! These problems are infuriating!

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like everything is now working except for a reverberating sound which may be the muffler....which you apparently replaced previously with an Aero Turbine muffler....you sure that is working correctly?

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cobra, what did the ECU run you $$$ wise? The aero turbine is fine, but the pipe in front of it tried to fall off several months ago so it might have something to do with the welding, idk. That whole exhaust is going to get redone if i keep this thing lol