Porting TB. Need to clean IM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

808inthe949

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about porting my throttle body. Ok so maybe further than thinking about it as I have already got all my tools and stuff ready.
Is it recommended that I remove the intake manifold (upper plastic section) and clean it out real good?
I removed the TB and noticed there is some buildup inside that manifold (seafoam in the BB line did not remove it) and I'm curious if this will effect the way the air enters the engine. I know I want to have a polished surface with the TB, but do I also need a real clean surface inside that manifold to get any benefit from porting and polishing the TB?
The intake tube itself has the ribs so it's internal surface isn't smooth either so would doing my TB even make a difference if I don't change the intake tube and polish that manifold?

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the easiest thing here is not to do it. Invest that labor / time spent applying some clay bar and a good coat of wax. You’ll get way more of shiny smooth paint then you ever will with a shiny smooth throttle body

808inthe949

Reaction score
Fastman sells a ported throttle body that many members have spoken of. Ported throttle bodies have been popular for a lot of different motors and applications.
Are you saying that porting and polishing my throttle body will have no effect? I know it will really only be felt/noticed when paired with other mods, which is in the plans.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be a very minimal gain, which may be negated by other areas down the line of flow.

If you haven't done them yet, gears will be something you and your vehicle will notice.

Suspension mods, or additional ones if you have some.

Not trying to say people who go the air intake/tb/intake manifold/header back exhaust/head and valve work/block work have done something for nothing. It just seems for the $$$$ put in to vehicle improvements here, engine work is lower on the list.

808inthe949

Reaction score
I do plan to do gears at some point but I do not feel experienced enough to tackle it at this point nor do I have the proper tools. Plus the price point is tough on the pockets.
I already have the suspension (OME, Steins, extra iso, clevis lift, and my "strut" plates are on the way)
My engine has 190k buy seems to be running really good. Last time it was at the mechanic (diagnosing diff leak) he was surprised at it's mileage.
I want to do the intake and exhaust to open it up a little. I did just the exhaust (read as tin can muffler) on a previous WK and it was terrible on low end torque. I was hoping to avoid having this happen with my KJ by doing the intake mods recommended on here (stock box w/extra inlet), bored+polished TB w/spacer, and a better exhaust.
It's easy to add the air box mod, bore/polish the TB, and weld up a new muffler with the stock exit point. Relatively cheap too, especially if it gives any noticable gains. (even if only by the seat of my pants)
I don't plan to do the engine work unless it's actually needed (not just needed to notice gains from other mods).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Porting does very little at all, have tried them and not worth it
TB with spacer does nothing either, does on a carbed motor but not a fuel injected

808inthe949

Reaction score
Tom- I know you have done numerous combinations on yours and others rigs and probably have some of the most well experienced advice. I can't afford a regear yet but I do understand it's the best **** for your buck.
Other than that, what else can be done to improve throttle response or negate low end torque loss by added weight/tires/muffler?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know on the KK’s some folks have swapped for a larger dimeter 4.7 throttle body. I don’t know if that is a viable option for the KJ but it is probably cheaper than porting yours. Paired with a Hypertech Max Energy tuner, some folks have said this swap makes a difference. But I have no personal experience with this mod.

808inthe949

Reaction score
Might not be viable for my KJ but possibly for my fiances WK. Even if I do a larger throttle body I wouldn't get a benefit (I'd there is one to be had) unless I had a pcm tune?