Pop noise from rear at full flex - LCAs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Noticed over the past few months I've had a pop/knock from the rear at full flex. Bit of background, this spring I replaced the trilink with a junkyard mopar one - went bad in a week. Was tired of messing with it, so let my trusted shop put in a "nice" (one with the blue boot on the ball joint) one, figured if it's going to be not as good as a new mopar one, may as well have someone else's labor for it! I've also had a creaking noise coming from the rear and I took it in, suspecting the bushings in the trilink and they looked it over (they've helped me find a ton of noises on the KJ, like the front shock mounts that no one else could diagnose, so I trust him) and he said the only thing back there that was suspect was the LCA bushings, they were packed with sand etc and causing the noise. Sure enough, I cleaned those up and it got a ton better, and it goes away when it's wet out, so I figure my LCA bushings are compromised anyway. Got 100k on them - could these be causing the pop? Shocks are OME 132Ls, haven't touched them in 5 years.

TLDR: Could worn LCA bushings cause a pop at full flex?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are flexing it enough then yes they could create a small " popping " sound at times

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The other idea I have is worn spring isolators... still on the OEM ones at 215k! Wondering if they're worn to the point they're letting the coil move around too much. I know at full flex I can go to the flexed out wheel and move the coil a bit. Haven't lost one yet tho!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Was looking around today and noticed that the coils have rub marks on them and don’t sit centered on the perches. Like I said earlier at full flex I can see the very top of the coil where it rests on the isolator and move it around. First 3 are passenger side and last 2 are drivers. Is this normal? Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach