Pop noise and thud when turning left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just started on Friday. When I turn my wheel to the left and the word Jeep on the steering wheel is vertical I hear and feel a pop/thud near my gas pedal. At first I thought my uca but I replaced those a few weeks ago. We looked at the lower ball joint and they looked ok. I tightened a few
Bolts here and there but still have the noise. It does not seem to matter how fast I am going. Could it be the R&P or you think a tie rod or perhaps a diff bushing?

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It now does it sometimes when I go straight. I put it on stands and checked arms and joints. I did not check inter shaft though... Will check tonight. Thank you.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did change one cv last fall but am wondering now of the other end went bad...hmmm

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know if your R&P is going out? I noticed when I was taking out the cv that the bottom of the steering box was all wet...maybe that is it. I have a few spots that are damp not sure 100% what it is from.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK now that I am at my desk I can type more...that tapatalk can be a bit of a PITA at times :D

So, when I am driving, mostly when I turn left I hear and feel a pop and it feels like it is right under the gas pedal or there abouts. When I crawled under everything looked fine. I did still have some of that fluid from what we thought was a brake line. They replacements should be here any day. The reason why we think it is the brake line is there is some fluid that is just under the metal band where the metal and hose meet. This is on the Front Drivers side.

Then I noticed there was a little Antifreeze last night...looks like it might be coming from around the water pump, if the water pump is at the bottom of the engine, passenger side.

Lastly there is some fluid around my R&P but that is from when my PS foamed up and spit all over the place. I added fluid and it worked fine, I did know that the washer on the reservoir has been a bit weak. So I have just figured that is why it foamed up, pulling air form there. Perhaps I am wrong though...maybe it is my steering that is going out/acting up. The wheel is pretty stiff though, like usual and no other complaints, no sloppy steering or anything like that.

I hope this makes sense, it has been a day from hell here and I am about ready to either A-go to sleep or B-Run away screaming. LOL.

If you have questions to me mumbling please let me know.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop says no it is not the cv and inter shaft. They are thinking it "could be" the steering but when I asked them about why it does it on occasion when I go straight they had no idea. I am thinking I might just buy the new parts from autozone and rip the bastard apart this weekend. What is the worst thing that could happen? :D

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 does something like that even when not moving. I am pretty sure its something in the steering. It does it more when it is hot out or driven for awhile. When first started cold there is no noise or pop. This probably doesn't help too much, but so far I have just lived with it and nothing has broke yet. Ken

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**Update**
My jeep is still at my inlaws on blocks, lol. I tore it apart on Thursday...removed both CVs, fabricated a custom Air bag sensor clip (since mine broke last radiator swap), trimmed my exhaust and fabricated a new bracket for the pipes, fabricated a plug for my hi-lift handle, then my intermediate shaft arrived, Thank you Vince, took another look at the front and noticed the lower control arm bushings were shot. Ordered them up along with new clevis bushings, they were goners too. Parts arrived today but could not get the bushings installed...spent most of day finding a shop to press them. Shop called me at 5:30 and said...umm...we are gonna need another day as they are not cooperating, lol. FEWK! so jeep still handing out all over the place. Driving my Father in Laws TJ for now until we can get the KJ back up and running. What a couple days. Shop said they should have them back together tomorrow and will call me. They are wondering if their press is too small for the big bushings...the old ones came out easy but the new ones are a bit of a crank. *crosses fingers* hopefully I will have my KJ back for Monday or...well...Guess my Mother in law will have to continue to park outside while my KJ is looking like a jacked up transplant patient, lol. At this point I am almost ready to say F-It and SFA the hoe. Yes, I am a bit like KJWildman and do strange things at times :D

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, now I know what I'm in for. I need to replace my clevis bushings as well. Not looking forward to it after your experience. :(

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night we finish putting the KJ back together. Runs nice but my bump steer is terrible so hopefully tonight a alignment.

The last shop I took my arms too said they are not sure why the others had a hard time. Perhaps they were using the wrong tools? Royal pita but worth it. Lol. No more popping. Cvs from napa intermediate from vince, clevis bushings from jeep, arm bushings from o'rilley. Total for
Job roughly 800 minus the
Cores so around 450-500. Not too bad.
Popping gone so I am happy.

KJ28

Reaction score
:pp: When i turn right in reverse it pops & turnin left goin forward it pops. I think its the driver side cv axle

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a similar pop/clunk at idle when warm that has gone away recently. Originally I thought it was something in the suspension.

While reading this thread, I realized it started getting better after I flushed new power steering fluid through and added Lucas Oil Power Steering Lubricant. Go figure!

Last edited:

KJ28

Reaction score
My right side cv axle was loose. It was snap ring on the inner axle came off.