Please help- Rear Lower Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep liberty 3.7

Reaction score
I have a 2003 jeep liberty and when I'm driving between 45 and 60 mph and let off the gas it sways and pulls to the left. And when I hit the gas it goes to the right.. anyone know what the problem is? Thanks for looking!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your tire pressures then rear lower control arm bushings. Also check rear upper control arm at the same time.

Jeep liberty 3.7

Reaction score
All tire pressure is the same..I was thinking the rear control arms it feels like the rear end. How do I tell if it's upper or lower?

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All tire pressure is the same..I was thinking the rear control arms it feels like the rear end. How do I tell if it's upper or lower?
The upper just keeps the rear differential from tilting forwards and backwards. It's the rear lower control arms. When the bushings go bad. It will feel like driving a forklift.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, it will be your rear lower control arms. I had this same issue a couple of months ago. Replaced the lower arms and its all good.

Darlene1203

Reaction score
Ahhh...wish I would have seen this sooner.My 2003 Liberty sport started doing this.Ive replaced the passenger upper and lower ball joints and a brake hose,the rear upper ball joints ,now I'm going to look at the rear lower control arms as all of you had said .It's very scary trying to go over 40 .Feels like you are going to wreck sometimes.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhh...wish I would have seen this sooner.My 2003 Liberty sport started doing this.Ive replaced the passenger upper and lower ball joints and a brake hose,the rear upper ball joints ,now I'm going to look at the rear lower control arms as all of you had said .It's very scary trying to go over 40 .Feels like you are going to wreck sometimes.
The rear LCAs will do it

Darlene1203

Reaction score
I ended up replacing the rear control arms this past weekend,along with the drivers driver's side upper control arm and the problem went away.A few weeks before I had replaced passenger upper and lower control arm ball joint ,tie rod end and rear ball joint and it still did it.So lower control arms did fix the issue.My ball joints were done though so it all made a difference.The lowers were rusty and as you said the bushing didn't look that bad but they were.I have to say I have learned that your ball joints can be rotted and done and not necessarily pass the test you do with the tire.If anyone experiences this please get it fixed and do not continue to drive it.Oh and I also had to have my driver's side bushing replaced on the rack.The seal was worn out.Mine has 181,000 miles so now I'm the one getting to do all this maintenance stuff the last owner didn't do.lol Only had it two years.All of you guys are so knowledgeable on here and thank you :)

Latest posts

Members online