PLEASE HELP Problem with my Headlights staying on

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by JayPee7986, Aug 26, 2017.

1. JayPee7986

JayPee7986 New Member

So I just got back from dinner (didnt take the Jeep) and as I'm walking back up my driveway I notice that my headlight are on. The Jeep hasn't moved all day. So for some reason the lights came on by themselves, they are in the off position and no matter what I do they won't shut off. I ultimately had to disconnect the battery to not drain it. I came back out about 20mins latter and reconnected it to see if maybe I could reset the computer or something and they still come on (in the off position) and won't turn off unless I disconnect the battery. If it's a fuse issue wouldn't that mean BOTH driver AND passenger headlight fuses went bad at the same time? Seems odd to me, any help would be great

2. teeje

teeje Full Access Member

Check the relay under the dash.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. Rsb563

Rsb563 Full Access Member

Sounds like a locked relay needs replacement. You can tap it on the table and put it back in to see if that's it. But I would replace it.

4. Billwill

Billwill Full Access Member

What year is your KJ? High beams or low beams ON?

As stated pull out the relay on the bottom of the fuse panel inside the cabin...this is for the High beams.

If the lights then go out swap the relay out with one on the reverse side of this fuse panel or an identical one under the hood or buy a new one.

If you have a Multi meter you can measure the removed relay pins 30 and 87 for continuity...if you have continuity then the contacts are welded together...may come right if you bang the relay but rather replace it.

If a new relay does not fix the problem we have to climb into the wiring diagrams...the BCM controls the lights...switches them off automatically after a delay if you turn off the ignition while light switch is ON.