Please don't shoot me for saying this, but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it really worth $3220 more for a Rubicon over the Sahara? For $50 you can upgrade the Sahara to 4.10 gears and for another $295 you can get the TracLok LS rear diff, right?

I realize that with the Rubicon you'd get the RockTrac 4:1 with front and rear lockers and the Dana44, but is it worth it?

jpm

Brigrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes...all of those extras are woth a lot of money, and add a ton of capability...

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After watching the Jeep site, I'm inclined to believe you about the capability, but wouldn't it be possible to add front/rear lockers aftermarket? Then we're just talking about the difference in the standard rear end and the Dana 44, right? While I'm not sure how much of a difference it'd make, wouldn't it be possible to add one of those aftermarket, too, or would it end up about the same in the end?

jpm

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't add a D44 front & rear, 4.10's, Selectable lockers, Or 4:1 transfer case for under $5000 aftermarket so Yes it is worth it.

That said, If you are planning on a radical build w/ 4.56's or lower (numerically higher gears) 35's or bigger and hard wheeling it might be better to just build a non-Rubi version w/ aftermarket diffs, gears, axles, steering, etc. instead of building up the Rubicon parts. You can always toss in a Atlas transfer case but expect that to set you back a bunch of cash, almost as much as the whole Rubicon package cost. The initial savings could be better put to use on all the aftermarket goodies and you could sell off the stock parts to cover some of the build.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rubicon, with the D44's etc, and the 4:1 t-case (sometimes referred to as rock trac) has that lower range for rock crawling.

Dave

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
The Rubicon, with the D44's etc, and the 4:1 t-case (sometimes referred to as rock trac) has that lower range for rock crawling.

Dave

Also comes in handy on those nice long, steep uphill climbs w/out any rocks. I have one ready to go into my XJ as soon as I get another yoke and front shaft made.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add... the Rubicon is the most capiable stock vehicle available. As far as the TJ Wrangler, do I wish I had one over my TJ Sport? Depends. I did upgraded it to a rear Dana 44. Sure I don't have lockers, and the TJ Rubicon came with 31" tires, but it just depends what you are going to do? How much trail time are you going to see? I have so far been very impressed with what a TJ Sport can do on just 30" tires. Long term, when I can come up with the money, I'd like to put 32" tires on it with a 2.5" lift, and a front locker (I have trac-lok in the rear). Larger tires and a little bit of lift would help out get over a few things. So far I havne't gotten in a spot where I've had to have a locker (if I had, I would also want another Jeep along to pull me out if it's that bad of a spot!).

Now, as far as the JK Wrangler, if you don't get a Rubicon, be sure to get whatever model with a rear Dana 44, and the trac-lok like you mentioned. There are plenty of guys that just lift Wranglers and don't wheel a lot. But then you may get the bug and want to wheel it a lot. If that's the case, go ahead and spend the money on a Rubicon.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the trac-lok and the Dana 44 on mine...:)

The Rubicon is worth it...:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Dang dude WAY to bring up a thread that's almost three months old!

just messin :D

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to the group with a Dana 44 Rear axle and 4.10 axle ratio on my 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X.

Latest posts

Members online