Plasti Dipped wheels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Finally got around to fixing my rims....they had corroded pretty badly over the years. Tried touching them up a few years ago but they just got nasty again.
Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

Now after Plasti dip:

I read lots of threads online before doing it and decided to go with gunmetal gray, then used their clear metallicizer and then their glossifier. Most people said one can per wheel, but I did all 5 with one and a half.

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Outstanding job. HJ. If you said you had just ordered new wheels I would have easily believed it. Really smooth! :winner_third_h4h:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good!
Yeah I used 1.5 cans for 5 wheels. I had to use my DA wire wheel and remove all the corrosion tho. Took a couple hours
Still hasn't peeled even in the mud

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That looks great ive been contemplating doing my renegades wheels as well

Thanks! Try the spare, it just peels right off if you don't like it.

Outstanding job. HJ. If you said you had just ordered new wheels I would have easily believed it. Really smooth! :winner_third_h4h:

Well ok I ordered new wheels. :happy175: Thanks!
Looks good!
Yeah I used 1.5 cans for 5 wheels. I had to use my DA wire wheel and remove all the corrosion tho. Took a couple hours
Still hasn't peeled even in the mud

I was surprised at what the plastidip did cover up....I just got the loose stuff off but nothing more.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to try this with my OE wheels.. the clear coat is flaking off in chunks, aluminum is getting pitted.. looks like crap.

Amir

Reaction score
Give it a shot, this stuff covers it up.
Hi HoosierJeeper,
Your wheels came out great. I'm wanting to do the same but in black.

Not to stray from the topic but can you direct me how I can mount a winch to my stock bumper (similar to yours) Its exactly what I need. Thanks!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi HoosierJeeper,
Your wheels came out great. I'm wanting to do the same but in black.

Not to stray from the topic but can you direct me how I can mount a winch to my stock bumper (similar to yours) Its exactly what I need. Thanks!
Thanks!
You'll want the DetoursUSA backbone mount.

Looking good HJ!

Thanks!

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they look great! (Pic link no longer working).

Dipped mine a couple months ago and it's amazing what that stuff will cover up! The cheapest, least time consuming, biggest bang for the buck visual improvement I've seen yet.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they look great! (Pic link no longer working).

Dipped mine a couple months ago and it's amazing what that stuff will cover up! The cheapest, least time consuming, biggest bang for the buck visual improvement I've seen yet.

All I hear is ******** from customers that come in for tires and have that junk on there wheels and get mad when it peels off mounting tires.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Update: I'm replacing the Plastidip with Moabs.

It's a good finish if you don't use a pressure washer or intend on getting new tires or wheels balanced. LOL.

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I'm fixing to get new tires and I WILL NOT be complaining WHEN it peels off. Logic & common sense say if it can peel, it will. Big deal, spray it again.

Moabs... sound nice. Maybe one day!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I'm fixing to get new tires and I WILL NOT be complaining WHEN it peels off. Logic & common sense say if it can peel, it will. Big deal, spray it again.

Moabs... sound nice. Maybe one day!

You would be the 1st.

Last month we had to buy $4500 AMG wheels for a idiot that put that crap on his wheels and it peeled when putting tires on after he stated he was fine with it.Yes we had to buy him brand new wheels at $4500 our cost($6500 retail) for him to coat them again when there was nothing wrong with the rims he already had.

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be the 1st.

Last month we had to buy $4500 AMG wheels for a idiot that put that crap on his wheels and it peeled when putting tires on after he stated he was fine with it.Yes we had to buy him brand new wheels at $4500 our cost($6500 retail) for him to coat them again when there was nothing wrong with the rims he already had.

Uh oh... so do you think Hibdon tires is going to want to install these things for me? Or reckon they've had enough problems to shy away from it?

I'm a country kid & been to the local tire shop enough to know the basics. It seems there isn't much common sense out there any more.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be the 1st.

I'd have told him to "pizz up a rope. I'll see you in small claims court".:gr_grin:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I just blessed to live in the wonderful rural Arkansas sticks. A local (40 miles at least) professional powder coat shop did my Silverado SS aluminums for $35. each. Guaranteed not to peel, flake, rust through, or be affected by wheel weights (I did put em all inside). Had em done in a "hammered" flat black, and to use that horribly overused word, they are AWESOME!!! Left the plastic center caps off and used spline drive black finish nuts.