plasti dip or rhino liner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my bumpers, flares and door knock strips are all faded to hell. I was going to roll on some rhino liner but then i saw a few posts floating around of people using plasti dip. Is this guna be a durable alternative? I dont want it getting scratched off in the brush. I was also thinking of doing up my grille as well. Should i prep the surfaces by sanding them down?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Two completely different things
Read up on both but a "good" bedliner will always be better than paint or PlastiDip

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what i thought. The plasti dip seems like it would be to easy to rub or peel off. What woukd you recomend as far as "good" bed liners go?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've really been debating spraying parts of my KJ with UPOL Raptor. It allegedly is UV-resistant, but I just want to make sure.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep having problems with oil off the road staining my plastics. And that white film left over from a messy wax job. Which i recently found out comes off fairly easy with a Mr Clean magic eraser!

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do not use magic eraser to clean any surface, its the equivalent of cleaning with 4000g sandpaper, in other words its scratching away at the surface not cleaning it, but thats more of a topic for the detailing section of this forum

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do not use magic eraser to clean any surface, its the equivalent of cleaning with 4000g sandpaper, in other words its scratching away at the surface not cleaning it, but thats more of a topic for the detailing section of this forum

Im going to have to disagree with you there. Magic erasers are made out of melamine foam, its no more abrasive then a regular rag. With that being said they do on occasion clean "too well" and can remove a finish if your not care full. I just take my time and make sure i dont apply to much pressure and i havent had any problems with them. Although i very rarely use them on painted surfaces.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish i could come up with a product and convince people when it screws someting up it just works too good, but as i mentioned that would be a thread for the detailing section, as far as using a truck bed coating on the plastics goes, there are a lot of good options, the upol raptor stuff is really good i rolled it on my cousins truck bed (6 years ago) no cover on the bed and the stuff looks almost new to this day and iirc you can get a kit with a spray gun for the liner if you have a compressor that will supply enough air to run it. more importantly you need to look into what prep is required, the unpainted plastic will always be a bit more involved than painted parts, you'll need to scuff and wipe down with alcohol at a bare minimum, look into the products and find out if an adhesion promoting product is needed etc...

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called duplicolor about the bedliner with kevlar they sell. The guy at customer service said they have used the product on plastic before. It can go on straight but they recommend that i give the plastic a good sanding and clean it off with a plastic safe solvent. Guna pick it up next week and do it over the weekend. Ill post pictures of the progress when i start.. should i start a new thread for it?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called duplicolor about the bedliner with kevlar they sell. The guy at customer service said they have used the product on plastic before. It can go on straight but they recommend that i give the plastic a good sanding and clean it off with a plastic safe solvent. Guna pick it up next week and do it over the weekend. Ill post pictures of the progress when i start.. should i start a new thread for it?

I used DupliColor on my roof - including the plastic rub strips along the top. As noted, sand the surface well - make sure there is a rough surface on all areas you want to coat.

The DupliColor is water based so easy to clean up and wipe off areas you don't want to cover. Just make SURE you continually stir the can as the Kevlar rubber will fall out of suspension and you'll tend to get chunks. Really good stuff though.

Bob

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i gutted my buddys interior in his ram and we did the floor and he went ahead and dumped waaaay to much into the pan and had that problem. The first section came out great bu the second half was mostly black pigment with no grit to it. I also picked up a can of plastidip yesterday to my badges but i had a problem with peeling. I let it dry a couple hours and tried to scribe it with a hobby knife but it wouldnt cut, just stretched and peeled up. Ill make a other attempt later today

ANG2005kj

Reaction score
I am thinking about ordering the kit for my bumpers, flares, and bottom half of the doors.
They have a how to on their site about doing plastic also. http://www.monstaliner.com/documents/Monstaliner_Coating_Plastic.pdf

I did the monstaliner on my roof about a year ago and it still looks great. I decided to try there method of putting it on plastic. Let me tell you i followed their how to to a T and that sh** didn't stick worth a crap. I do have the textured flares but still.

I ended up going with kylon for plastic as a primer and sprayed over that with rustoleum bed liner and its so far held up great.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the Rustoleum Bed Liner with no primer about 5 months ago with no primer. I just used Simple Green automotive degreaser with a scrub brush. Gone through a car wash a dozen times and been hit with nasty desert prickly bushes and it still looks new.

Latest posts

Members online