Petrol in a CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwakie

Reaction score
So this morning, at the filling station the attendent filled my CRD with Petrol. I did not notice until after a 20 minute drive - when the engine sounded different. The attendent confirmed he filled it up with unleaded. I know I have to drain the petrol and replace the fuel filter at least, but Does anyone out there know how bad this can be.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In America the "proper" thing to do would be to sue the attendant for any cost associated with the fill up. Not sure how it works in South Africa.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, our solution is to sue people because they had no idea or they were not told what to pump.. As far as I know, here they have no liability unless they were specifically told what to pump, even with that they may argue that you need to have the fuel specified on or around the gas cap.. Probably why you see huge DIESEL ONLY on some trucks and vans... Oh well..

As far as I know putting petrol on CRD is not as bad as putting diesel on gas engine. They just ****** it off and you are good to go. Just the expense of "intensive wash"..

hood297

Reaction score
actually it is much worse to put gas in a diesel, than diesel in a gas. Diesel has more lubricity than gasoline.

Anyway, in the marine industry it is treated very seriously, legally it is the owners responsibility to tell the attendant what to fill thier vehicle/vessel with;however, it is the responsibility of the attendant to use due dillagence and be sure to ask several time what fuel type to fill with.

but it is only the owners responsibility if the owner him/herself pumped the fuel. We have a service that comes and removes all the fuel, polishes fuel in lines and system, and refills with appropriate fuel.

in our most recent incident the dockhand pumped in 150 gallons of gasoline into a diesel tank. the tank had 150 gallons of diesel already in it. they arrived at 11am and the fuel was not pumped out and polished until 12am that night. needless to say the marina footed the bill of service, and 150 gallons of fuel to replace the fuel that was already in there. along with 2 meals for 6 people, and a free boat rental...

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually - the CRD's were designed under the assumption that this would happen.
so dump the tank - change the filter and it'll probably run rough as it clears the residue.
I think MrMopar said they could run on about 20-30% gas

Gwakie

Reaction score
I contacted BP Africa - they confirmed that regardless of the situation the service station is liable for any damage to the vehicle - the service attendent has to ensure that the correct fuel is put into the vehcile. Lets see how that goes hey.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this morning, at the filling station the attendent filled my CRD with Petrol. I did not notice until after a 20 minute drive - when the engine sounded different. The attendent confirmed he filled it up with unleaded. I know I have to drain the petrol and replace the fuel filter at least, but Does anyone out there know how bad this can be.

omg, i would fill the attendent with petrol, and see if he fires on it.. :mad:

That *****. Good luck man.

devnul

Reaction score
I loaned my CRD to a friend a few weeks back and it was low (as in "low warning light is on") and she put $10 of premium unleaded in it because she was afraid it would run out and couldn't find a station that sold diesel.

Long story short: she drove about 10 miles with the engine running rather rough and filled it up with diesel and I've seen no ill effects whatsoever from it.

- Greg

devnul

Reaction score
Who can say... Either it will fail someday and I'll replace it, or it won't... :)

I'm not sure what that is a picture of you posted, but I'm going to venture a guess its some sort of fuel pump attached to the crankshaft?

If its the fuel pump, yeah, I reckon that might be a bit pricey to replace -- but I have to balance that against saying something that would be, hmm, how shall I say "in my best interest" :)

- Greg

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 6 months ago I was on a road trip, I had 16 hours on the road ahead of me, grabbed the wrong nozzle at first fill up and inadvertently added 7 gallons of 87 octane. Now thats about a 33% mixture. Thought about trying to drain some from the tank, but decided to give it a go. Thought if I could get down the road about 100 miles I could dilute it more and eventually eliminate it. I decided not to shut down the engine, not sure what effect it might have on the glow plugs.

It ran fine for about 20 miles, then starting noticing the effects: Not as peppy acceleration, at cruise, I could feel the early detonation, engine temp ran a little bit higher than normal. I was in central Virginia, and it was most noticeable cruising on the flat sections with little acceleration. Climbing the hills and coasting down the other side it was tolerable. I ran it for about 80 miles with these symptoms, then stopped to top off. Added 5.4 gallons diluting the mix to 25% (I was getting 14 mpg). Filling up must have helped mix it, because after leaving the station, I didn't feel the symptoms at all.

I cruised for another hour without feeling much, then about 160 miles, the symptoms returned. I suspect that gas doesn't mix completely, separates over time and the longer I cruised the more it separated out. I stopped after 200 miles to top off. This time when I stopped at the pump, it idled rather rough until I got fresh cool #2 into her. Added 14 gals diluting the mix to 7.5% (mpg about the same) and she idled smoothly. After this fillup, I never felt any more effects from the 87 octane mistake. Fuel mileage returned to normal.

I'm not recommending anyone run gas, just wanted to relate my experience. If I made this mistake again, I think I would drain enough to dilute to about 10% before continuing. I've put on another 9000 miles since this happened and no issues.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is the only thing I worry about with my Jeep. I have never owned a Diesel powered anything before and no one in my Family has as far as I know,i have only one friend is into diesel. I doubt I would ever make that mistake but other than that one friend no one else will borrow my jeep or drive it unles I am there with it. I am so fearful that if I lent it out it would get filled with gas before its return by the borrower that thinks they are being nice.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Back in the late '80s (89?), I had the EXACT OPPOSITE happen. We had a Van, and it was running out of gas. My cousin decided it was ok to siphon gas from a cement truck. I said, dude, those are Diesel engines, he insisted they were gas, and he knew they were gas. Well, they were Diesel. After the siphon, every valve in the engine started to make noise, and shortly thereafter (3-days), the front main bering spun. We bought another van later, but not only did he not pay for the other van he ruined, he nenver paid for his half of the second van either, that I spent my ENTIRE paycheck on.

Members online

No members online now.