PCV/Misfiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nuknght

Reaction score
I am looking for some information and help on where to begin my troubleshooting. Please read ALL before answering:
2005 Jeep liberty Sport, 3.7l V6 4WD

diagnostics codes:
p0300 (multiple misfire)
p0306 (misfire Cyl. no. 6)
p0304 (misfire Cyl. No. 4)
p0138 (O2 sensor circuit, high voltage (bank 1, sensor 2)

Whats been done so far:
May 2016: water pump and thermostat replaced
September 2016:changed coil packs and spark plugs, new PCV valve and lines, October 2016: brand new radiator installed along with new heater core ($$$$$$$),:favorites68:
October 2016: swapped out coil packs for known good ones, no change.
Spark plug No. 6 has GREEN CORROSION on the electrode (, No. 4 now has oil on electrode)

issues: misfiring on multiple cylinders both before and after spark plugs and coil packs replaced. (plugs gapped to factory .040), after PCV and lines to throttle body were replaced and I, now, have extreme sludge build up in PCV line to throttle body indicating excessive moisture in system. visible white smoke coming from tail pipe along with excessive water dripping from muffler. Engine does not overheat and never has. Absolutely NO Coolant in the crank case or Oil in the coolant (just sludge in PCV and lines to throttle body). I went to start the vehicle 2 days ago and when it fired up, I heard a clank noise. now it sounds as though a lifter is ticking bad as well as something trying to open and close but failing.

I am completely stumped on this and am in need of some serious direction on where to start. From what i understand based on some research i've done, is the intake manifold could be cracked leaking the moisture into the system and causing the misfire. But overall, everything is pointing to head gasket issues. Waiting on my endoscope to arrive so i can inspect between Cyl. No. 4 and 6.

I am really hoping this is not a head gasket.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To help with the issue of the milky slug in the pcv lines, you will want to remove the baffle thing from the filler neck. It is just a insert that Chrysler put in the filler neck for some unknown reason, and if you still have it in the filler neck you will have slug accumulation, causing the pcv system to get all slugged up.

nuknght

Reaction score
Isn't that to help keep contaminates out of the oil and prevent the sludge from clogging g the PCV lines and going into the throttle body in the first place?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to a jeep technician I know he said that jeep told them to remove the baffle because it was causing a problem where that milky stuff was collecting on it.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now it sounds as though a lifter is ticking bad as well as something trying to open and close but failing.

Do you hear the ticking all the time now?
When the car is warming up and the engine isn't terribly hot, if you put your hand on top of the valve covers can you feel any excessive vibrations or knocks in either?
Either one sound louder the opposing side?

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a compression test is needed . 4 & 6 are adjacent cylinders , possible blown head gasket . White smoke / steam is also an indication of a blown head gasket . You can get a block test kit at NAPA for around $40.00 bucks that will tell you if the coolant is getting exhaust gases in it .