Passenger tail-light doesn't run but brake works?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

123monkey

Reaction score
I already replaced the entire taillight still same issue it lights with thr brake. Also noticed the dashboard light and the shifter backlight is out.
Anyone having the same issue or solved it?

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
If brake light works & tail light doesn't that socket's got a good ground - but that's all it tells us. Could be something as simple as a bulb (swap with the one on the other side) or a fuse.

By "entire taillight" do you mean the housing, or housing + socket(s)? New bulbs?

On cars with separate left & right light circuits, the dash lights are often on the opposite side to tag lights; also front & rear lights are often wired diagonally. Don't know about KJ's though & I struggle with American wiring diagrams, but that's just me & others may be able to advise which is which.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A common problem with the bulbs is that they get hot and the bulb contacts on the socket then melt into the plastic of the bulb socket/holder....so now the bulb contact no longer touches on the socket contact.

If this is the case you can try heat up the socket and pull the contact out slightly or find new sockets.

Otherwise you need to put a Multimeter onto the contacts and grounds to see if voltages are present....also try new bulbs!

What year is your KJ?

Reactions: JRB

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rotation of the bulb socket in the housing. I have over rotated them and the tabs did not contact properly. Once I backed it off a fraction of a turn it worked fine. Good luck.

Reactions: JRB

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to check fuses as my 2006 has separate fuses for right and left parking lights