Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to buy up a few parts I think I might need for the Libby, while they're available...

What's your favorite online source for decent quality parts? All we've ever done is AutoZone/O'Reilly's/Advance or, more recently, eBay. eBay makes me nervous with parts I'm not sure will last. But I'm not anxious to spend money at local shops either if I can find it cheaper online.

Thinking of an alternator, water pump, serpentine belt +/- AC compressor. ('02 Sport, 3.6L, 128k)

Comments appreciated!

(EDIT: Eek! She's a 3.7L... sorry, Jeepy!)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to buy up a few parts I think I might need for the Libby, while they're available...

What's your favorite online source for decent quality parts? All we've ever done is AutoZone/O'Reilly's/Advance or, more recently, eBay. eBay makes me nervous with parts I'm not sure will last. But I'm not anxious to spend money at local shops either if I can find it cheaper online.

Thinking of an alternator, water pump, serpentine belt +/- AC compressor. ('02 Sport, 3.6L, 128k)

Comments appreciated!

MOPAR and NAPA
Never do Autozone/ Advance etc nor Ebay

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of online MOPAR dealerships have had mad sales lately,like for the last 6-9 months.

Earlier this year needed a seat belt buckle and one dealer had a 50% off sale and ended up buying $2500 in parts that will be hard(if not impossible) to find in a few years.The fedex driver hated me that day.

drewwenmoth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good middle ground between ability to warranty (storefronts) and cheap (ebay) is rockauto. Alot of oem parts, as well as different grades (economy vs premium vs performance) for most parts. Or a store like summit racing that carrys the brands (moog, some mopar stuff) that our jeeps use. Great customer service at summit. They can special order damn near anything too, but stock or drop ship most things in 2 days nearly countrywide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good middle ground between ability to warranty (storefronts) and cheap (ebay) is rockauto. Alot of oem parts, as well as different grades (economy vs premium vs performance) for most parts. Or a store like summit racing that carrys the brands (moog, some mopar stuff) that our jeeps use. Great customer service at summit. They can special order damn near anything too, but stock or drop ship most things in 2 days nearly countrywide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd stay far away from rockauto,rather get the crap parts at autozone.The horror stories I hear on a weekly basis about that place I can't understand how they can remain open.

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need help with lingo here-

Is MOPAR a brand ? I'm guessing that OEM is factory / stock parts...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Need help with lingo here-

Is MOPAR a brand ? I'm guessing that OEM is factory / stock parts...

Mopar is the parts, service and customer care organization within Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. ( which builds Jeeps, Dodges etc )
OEM is factory ( MOPAR )

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eBay can be a great place to get parts, as long as you stay away from all the generic brands.

Find out what part numbers from high quality manufacturers you need, and then search for those specific part numbers on eBay. In a lot of cases that ends up being around 25% cheaper than buying them on any other website.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
eBay can be a great place to get parts, as long as you stay away from all the generic brands.

Find out what part numbers from high quality manufacturers you need, and then search for those specific part numbers on eBay. In a lot of cases that ends up being around 25% cheaper than buying them on any other website.

BEWARE, many are using MOPAR parts numbers but selling inferior parts advertising them as OEM
I used to buy some from EBAY 6-7 years ago but no more

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stay far away from rockauto,rather get the crap parts at autozone.The horror stories I hear on a weekly basis about that place I can't understand how they can remain open.

I've had nothing but good luck for many parts for many different vehicles from rock Auto, I almost always but the name brand stuff though. What kind of honor stories have you heard?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you get name brand stuff, Rockauto is fine. I think TJKJ is referring to their no name/economy junk. Which a lot of people buy those parts anyway. But if you get Mopar or Moog for example, the Mopar stuff is the same as what you'd get anywhere else. Same for Moog.

Their return process used to be kind of troublesome but it's easier now. Only part that ***** is when the part is worth less than the cost of return shipping, so if you're buying something that's like $10 and it fails, the warranty isn't worth anything.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been ordering from RA for many years. Never had a problem but never had to return anything. Even got my crank kit for my 02 from them and it was perfect. I never order the cheap/economy parts though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had nothing but good luck for many parts for many different vehicles from rock Auto, I almost always but the name brand stuff though. What kind of honor stories have you heard?

People ordering the actual OE part by the OE part # and get the wrong parts or cheap crap.

Heck my service manager tried to get a injector kit for his duracrap and 3 times they sent Ford injectors,the 2nd and 3rd time he called.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good middle ground between ability to warranty (storefronts) and cheap (ebay) is rockauto. Alot of oem parts, as well as different grades (economy vs premium vs performance) for most parts.

Rockauto is where I buy 80% of my parts these days. I can't afford not to.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of online MOPAR dealerships have had mad sales lately,like for the last 6-9 months.

Earlier this year needed a seat belt buckle and one dealer had a 50% off sale and ended up buying $2500 in parts that will be hard(if not impossible) to find in a few years.The fedex driver hated me that day.

What type of parts do you expect will be hard to find in a few years? Also, what type of parts do you like keep on hand?

I only recently have been able to work on my jeep, and it's been really rewarding, for my personal satisfaction as well as for my wallet. I doubt I'll ever be doing a gear change or breaking the engine down, but an alternator, water pump, etc are projects I'll happily dive into.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rockauto is where I buy 80% of my parts these days. I can't afford not to.

I ordered 3 different parts at different times,
3 wrong parts sent had to send them back
NEVER again, refuse to order from them any longer and waste my time and money
I walk into the dealership or NAPA ( both of which I get discounts at ) and walk out with the right parts everytime

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered 3 different parts at different times,
3 wrong parts sent had to send them back
NEVER again, refuse to order from them any longer and waste my time and money
I walk into the dealership or NAPA ( both of which I get discounts at ) and walk out with the right parts everytime

You're having rotten luck. I seem to get exactly what I order. Pictures and measurements right there for most parts.

I can't afford the dealer. Account pricing is a joke. I went to Napa last year for a taillight and 10' length of exhaust pipe (BCAA discount... lol). I only have a single 'mom & pop' parts store local to me without taking a ferry and wasting half a day.

There's something wrong in the big picture when I can have parts to my door from another country for ~20% less than what a commercial automotive shop pays for parts. :Violin:

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Most parts I buy about the same price as Rock Auto and have it right then or later that day
I'll continue to shop locally and support local businesses

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of parts do you expect will be hard to find in a few years? Also, what type of parts do you like keep on hand?

I only recently have been able to work on my jeep, and it's been really rewarding, for my personal satisfaction as well as for my wallet. I doubt I'll ever be doing a gear change or breaking the engine down, but an alternator, water pump, etc are projects I'll happily dive into.

OE electric cooling fan,EVAP parts(all),interior parts(almost impossible to find right now),and other little things that are unique to the KJ.

Anything suspension or drivetrain(besides the engine and trans) I can't use anything resembling OE.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't afford the dealer. Account pricing is a joke.

Did a TSB on a audi yesterday for replacing all 4 coils with updated coils.The manager didn't want to use OE fearing the customer would not pay that kind of $$$.Aftermarket coils started at $80 each our cost(wholesale) while the OE updated coils from audi were $22 each.

Yeah dealer prices are way to high.