Parking brakes adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samngina

Reaction score
How do I adjust the parking brake? I don't know where the adjustment bolts are. Or do I got to do it at the wheel.

samngina

Reaction score
Thank you very much:worship: Should be an easy job.

Nope wasn't easy :disgust: I hate'ed it, felt like no progress was made on driver side. these parking brake on the 08 never were good, and now after laying on by back for an hour aren't any better:favorites68: Is their a special tool or something?

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's even easier than indicated:

They do have a self-adjuster although if it is a long way out you need to follow the instructions per the thread.
Of course, repeating the following a number of times can get a result.
First:
1 Find a slight incline and allow the Jeep to roll backwards slowly (watching where you are going of course).

2 Whilst rolling slowly backwards keep your thumb on the release button so it can swing freely and repeatedly pump (operate) the handle upwards and downwards until you feel the park brake grab at the top of its stroke.
Then move it fully down.
Repeat several times while you are moving slowly backwards.
You need to feel a slight grab at the end of each upward stroke.

3 This should bring the auto adjuster to the correct clearance from the drum provided the mechanisim is not siezed and it is moderately close to start.
Doing this on a regular basis will keep adjustment where it is supposed to be.
I have never manually adjusted my 06 KJ.

If this doen't work; basically follow the method described at the other forum OR:
Use 2 screw drivers.
I file a V-notch into the end of one which will fit into the hole in the backing plate with its blade vertical. It is to push the spring of away from the star wheel and then I use a normal one to rotate the star wheel till the park brake just drags. Without the V it is hard to keep it on the spring.

Alternatively, a brake adjuster can be used to rotate the star wheel but it is still MUCH easier if you release the pressure of the spring on the starwheel.

NOTE: Adjust out until it just rubs then back-off a few clicks.

Then use the "cranking and rolling" method above to allow the self-adjusters to "balance" both sides.