Parking brake won't hold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after failing inspection, and replacing springs/pb shoes/ and actuator (on drivers side) i still can't get the libby to hold. (its better ) but wont hold on an incline.

I pulled up the cargo box, next to the PB lever and see that the clip that holds the two cables is cocked to the right, it seems that the passenger side cable is frozen, ANy way of unfreezing this without replacement, from the few post i've found, it seems to be a real PITA to replace the cable.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you take a photo of the cable & the adjuster inside ?
Is there any slack, and the cable will not budge at all?
Wonder where it is stuck.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay here it is, its the clip that holds the two cables see who one cable is longer than the other, that is when the parking brake is engaged the passenger side is not being pulled (frozen)

You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya what a pain in the ass this system is.
Hopefully others may chime in with some ideas here.
At the moment I got to get ready for work, will need to reference the FSM.
Do you have a FSM?
My thought is reference FSM, disconnect both side cables, and see if you can get them moving somehow to free it up maybe with lube somehow..sounds all good but it may need replacement.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay here it is, its the clip that holds the two cables see who one cable is longer than the other, that is when the parking brake is engaged the passenger side is not being pulled (frozen)

I see a penny down in there - maybe your good luck charm? :mexsmoke:

Mine is similar - but three out of the four PB shoes have no pads on them. No inspections in Ohio and I've never been one to use a parking brake anyway so not real worried about it. One of these days I'll find some motivation and fix the e-brake :shrug:

Like Troy said, the rear seat and console have to come out to get to the cable grommets that are pressed into the floor. I don't know how the cable could be frozen inside it's sleeve - it would seem the lever on the backing plate is probably frozen instead.

I'm curious what you find - keep us posted.

Bob

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a penny down in there - maybe your good luck charm? :mexsmoke:

Mine is similar - but three out of the four PB shoes have no pads on them. No inspections in Ohio and I've never been one to use a parking brake anyway so not real worried about it. One of these days I'll find some motivation and fix the e-brake :shrug:

Like Troy said, the rear seat and console have to come out to get to the cable grommets that are pressed into the floor. I don't know how the cable could be frozen inside it's sleeve - it would seem the lever on the backing plate is probably frozen instead.

I'm curious what you find - keep us posted.

Bob

I know it's not the actuator lever if that's what you mean, I've replaced all pads and springs and lubed that lever on the passenger side and have replaced it on the drivers side, so if the cable can't be frozen inside it's sleeve where else should I look

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

oh... that does look like a major cluster.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ It's pulling cockeyed like that because the passenger side cable isn't moving.
Try letting the cable soak with penetrating oil (both ends) for a while and work it.
I'd try everything possible before tearing into it.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ It's pulling cockeyed like that because the passenger side cable isn't moving.
Try letting the cable soak with penetrating oil (both ends) for a while and work it.
I'd try everything possible before tearing into it.

Thanks, where exactly do you mean though, I assume at one end where the cable ties into the lever , but wherein the front? Right in the console itself?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, at the top where the cable goes into the casing. Give it a shot, let it run down in. Give it another shot, let it run in. And keep doing that. You might be fortunate enough for the penetrating oil to work it's way down. I'd also soak it at the end under the Jeep, but the oil isn't going to flow uphill very well.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bike shops have a cable oiler that clamps over the cable where it runs into the housing. You clamp it down tight for a good seal and there is a tiny hole where you poke that plastic pipe from a WD-40 or other penetrating oil can. Push the button and (the red pipe flies off the can and sprays you in the face - ok, not always) the red pipe delivers the oil under pressure to the cable. It should force it all the way down till it comes out the other end.

Latest posts

Members online