Parking brake broken...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for a while now, my parking brake has had trouble staying set. I can pull the handle up, and occasionally it'd feel like it slips a tooth or 2. Now, it pretty much won't stay up at all. Is there some adjustment I need to tweak, or do I need to replace the entire mechanism inside the passenger compartment.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LibertyTC That's not the same problem i'm having, unfortunately. my handle won't stay up/engaged at all at this point. it's like the ratchet teeth are stripped or at least not being engaged.

@HoosierJeeper ... *******... :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The handle end button.. is it staying out?
You're going to have to get the center floor console out to better inspect it & find out whats failed.
As it's an assembly, the FSM doesn't talk about the clicking ratchet action or lack of...
Refer to the FSM- Brakes section-" lever " re lock out for removal etc.
You must be registered for see images attach

You should be able to find another one at JY- fleabay or online. Google: parking brake lever assembly 2007 jeep liberty.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note that applies to the KK but there’s a chance it applies to the KJ as well: the black plastic box that senses collisions and sets off airbags is located adjacent to the brake lever in the KK at least. If you don’t have the battery disconnected and the system discharged, and you give that box a jolt, or even unscrew it to move it and it tips over, all your airbags can deploy.

Does anyone know if the KJ has this as well?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't appear that the KJ is overly complicated or has any black box located in or around the center console.
It is always advised to disconnect both battery cables anyways.
There is only 1 wire heading over to the lever for the parking brake lamp switch.
From 2006 FSM which is as close as we can get...

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Well that’s good news for you KJ-ers. :)

Not sure if he’s on this board, but Chereveco (Lost/Jeepforum) had the airbags blow on his KK after replacing the parking brake handle a year or two ago. Not a good day! :eek:

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't image how dangerous & scary an air bag deployment would be. :eek:
Pretty soon they may have air bags on motorcycles, possibly even boats!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I think there is one for motorcycles already. I know there's one for skiers and snowmachiners. It's supposed to float you up to the surface of an avalanche.

I don't have one.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
I think there is one for motorcycles already. I know there's one for skiers and snowmachiners. It's supposed to float you up to the surface of an avalanche.

I don't have one.

I know the Honda GoldWings have them as an option. There's also an airbag vest that can be worn by the rider in case of accident on other motorcycles.

50 years on motorcycles, ~500k miles in 48 states, six European countries, over half of Canada, Mexico, Grand Caymans and the Bahamas with two low speed accidents and *knocks on wood* no injuries. Not a skier any more with these knees.