parking brake backing plate ??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So going over the Libby before in inspection and I find out my parking brake won't hold once I pulled the rear wheel off I found that the backing plate was loose my question is is this plate really needed what purpose does it serve can I get by without it I'm not a gearhead so I can't pull the axle like some of the suggestions that I have read to replace it. may be a stupid question but I would like to know thank you Or do they make a 2 piece backing plate like some other vehicles have?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Which came first the chicken or the egg? :shrug:
Ah never mind..how about the dics interior drum or hat LOL? :icon_lol:
At 2 minutes 3 seconds you can see after he pulls rotor, is where the rear ebrake shoes exist. New spring kit & shoes and star adjustments needed.
I am sure there is a write up somewhere on the forum, just thought I would throw this Youtube video in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrn1E1xhLM
:Bye:

Last edited:

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which came first the chicken or the egg? :shrug:
Ah never mind..how about the dics interior drum or hat LOL? :icon_lol:
At 2 minutes 3 seconds you can see after he pulls rotor, is where the rear ebrake shoes exist. New spring kit & shoes and star adjustments needed.
I am sure there is a write up somewhere on the forum, just thought I would throw this Youtube video in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrn1E1xhLM
:Bye:

Thanks I can do the brakes myself, have done them before. It's the loose backing plate that's the problem . I have no idea what to do with it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some have used very small bolts and others have pop riveted it back in place

ArtO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pre-drilled holes and used self drilling hex tek screws to reattach mine. Been holding up for about 3 or 4 years now.