Parking brake adjustment on KJ - EASY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brakes on the KJ are super easy to manage and erroneously maligned.
The emergency brake is more than adequate and the self adjuster does work.

If work is done, adjust until it is near enough only.

THEN:

Find a place where you can roll backwards slowly and safely.
Roll backwards SLOWLY. (If you can take an oberver so no kids or animals are hurt unless you have a reversing camera.)

Whilst rolling slowly, hold the operating handle of the emergency brake whilst holding in the locking button so the handle will travel up and down freely.
At the same time:
Crank the handle up ALL THE WAY and back down ALL THEAY half a dozen r so times whilst rolling backwards.

This will Self adjust your park brake and if you do it every so often all will be well.

The emergeny brake should never need manual adjustment unless they sieze or you work on them.

If you work on them:

FILE a V notch in the head of an old screw driver. This is now a tool to keep.
Use the notch to locate it against the lobe spring of the adjuster so you can easily wind the adjuster in or out. This screwdriver should be of a size to fit into the adjuster slots of the backing plate with the blade held vetically.
Without it, the wheel is very hard to turn (there is a ratchet pawl held hard against it making it turn one-way only).

Now a second "normal" screwdriver will rotate the adjuster wheel easily in either direction.
Adjusting to near enough is quite good enough.
Remove the tools.

Then follow through on the auto adjust procedure above.

IT IS THAT EASY.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried your trick while backing out of the driveway for work this morning and got hit by a bus :(

Just kidding! It seems to have worked, although it's hard to say. My E-brake is very finicky about engaging properly, only seems to about 50% of the time.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, just drove it on my lunch break and it seems to engage quite definitely every time now.

Thanks for the tip!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally gonna go try this now. My e-brake does absolutely nothing right now...

Does it matter if the transmission is in reverse or neutral? Cause everything's pretty flat where I'm at...

Last edited:

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually (and have with all my Mopars) done it free-wheeling (Neutral) so there is no bogging-down effect of the ******.

Latest posts

Members online